Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-14 00:37:59

Darksylum

Constant boot lockups on Fedora 18 XFCE and ubuntu 12.04 Linux Royal

Hello, I first want to say how much I like the XFCE desktop gui. It is fast and seems very stable. I have no issues navigating around (I am newer to linux) And for the most part it is very stable and all my programs run flawless with it.

But I have had a few problems. The problems are the same with both of the operating kernals I have used.

Fedora 18 XFCE Lite: This came with Xfce by default and I loved it. It was fast and stable. Worked like a champ and it was everything I have come to expect out of the Fedora Project. However, A friend of mine talked me into using Cinnamon as an alternative shell. I installed Cinnamon and everything was fine. That is until I tried to log back into XFCE. The system would lock up as soon as I got to the desktop and no functions would work. I would have to hard boot.

I eventually removed Fedora all together and decided to run Linux Royal (Ubuntu 12.04 with gnome shell, Unity is stripped and removed)

Linux Royal has run flawless for the most part But I just felt lost without XFCE so I decided to install it. I downloaded and installed it direct from my terminal and everything went well. I restarted and boot back into Linux Royal and logged in under XFCE and everything went great. I had some graphical issues related to Linux Royal themes that I had to clean up but it did not seem to be an issue. When I restarted again, XFCE started to freeze just like it would do on Fedora after I installed Cinnamon. I have no idea why XFCE refuses to play nice on my computer when a gnome GUI is installed. It does not seem to be an issue with either Kernal. Has anyone had these problems before?

My Computer:

Toshiba L775D laptop
AMD A6-3400m APU
6gb Ram
120gb EXT 4 Partition (same drive that my Windows7 install is on)

Any help would be great. I have removed XFCE from my system for now and gnome is functioning with no problems but I would love to get XFCE working again some how while not loosing my gnome shell.

#2 2013-03-14 22:44:30

Sideburns
Website

Re: Constant boot lockups on Fedora 18 XFCE and ubuntu 12.04 Linux Royal

Just to make sure that there's no interaction between Xfce and Gnome, you might consider backing up your personal files and replacing Ubuntu with Xubuntu, as that comes with Xfce.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#3 2013-03-14 23:03:16

Darksylum

Yea I started with Fedora 18 Lite. It is XFCE base as well and did not have gnome installed. As soon as i added gnome to to system it went to crap. it is as if I can not have both on the same system regardless of what kernal I use sad

Last edited by Darksylum (2013-03-14 23:08:28)

#4 2013-03-14 23:47:42

Sideburns
Website

Strange.  I started out on my desktop with Gnome 2, and migrated here to avoid Gnome 3.

yum group list

Shows the various Gnome groups as available but not installed.  (Probably don't have enough of them left.)

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#5 2013-03-15 16:34:39

Darksylum

Yea I am not sure what is going on here. I am about to just give up on it tho. I would like to use XFCE because it feels like it is much lighter than even gnome classic but I don't think it wants to play right with me.

Board footer