Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-14 04:10:07

donjuma

Window Buttons (taskbar) don't show the application's icon. Only text.

Hey all,

I just transitioned to an all Linux desktop for the first time (coming from windows). It's great and I love playing around with it. I've downloaded Debian Wheezy and Xfce4 with some additional add-ons. One thing that just seems to keep pestering me, no matter how hard I try to ignore it, is the fact that in the taskbar (Window Buttons, as I believe xfce4 calls it) it does not show the application's icon. It only displays the name of the application/window. Below are all my specs as well as add-ons as well as a reference image. Thank you all so much in advanced!

Machine:
-32bit OS
-Debian Wheezy (7.0)
-Nvidia GeForce 8500 gt (With current driver from Nvidia)
-Xfce 4.8
-LightDM

Add-Ons:
-Compiz version 0.8.4
-Emerald (Theme Manager)
-Xfce4-goodies

Image:
Screenshot of my taskbar

Last edited by donjuma (2013-05-14 04:11:48)

#2 2013-05-14 17:39:02

MountainDewManiac

Re: Window Buttons (taskbar) don't show the application's icon. Only text.

My Window Buttons panel applet shows the apps' icons. I just accessed the panel preferences (for that panel) and, through it, the Window Buttons preferences window. There does not seem to be an option to hide/show icons - there is one to show/hide button labels, but that just makes the titles appear/vanish.

I don't know whether the behavior you are experiencing has to do with an incorrect setting (if it does, it is not one that appears in (my version of) the Window Buttons preferences), a component that your installation is missing, a misconfiguration somewhere else that is affecting this, or if it is because you have an older version of Xfce. I just looked at the Xfce page of the Debian Wiki and it looks like Wheezy and Sid both use the older 4.8 version of Xfce and only Experimental uses 4.10, which is more or less the current one. I confess that I do not know the reasons for keeping what has always been, for me, a rock-solid version of Xfce in the "Experimental" version of Debian, but as I do not use that distro, I lack knowledge that others may have. (I use computers that at and approaching ten years old, and have installed a distro with Xfce 4.10 on friends' brand-new computers - none have shown issues - so I don't see how it can be that they are doing it because of compatibility concerns with old - or the newest - computers. Maybe it is a case of keeping older versions of desktop environments to guarantee compatibility with... all the other things that they only have old versions of, lol? IDK, honestly, but if "Experimental" only has "current," where does a Debian user go when he/she truly wishes to experiment? Are there things like the PPAs that users of Ubuntu and Ubuntu-derived distros can add, such as the Xfce 4.12 PPA (which has also been solid and stable, with only one very minor bug which was fixed a day or so later in an update) that I added to Mint 14 Xfce?

I am afraid that I do not know an easy way to find exactly which version of the Window Buttons applet that I have installed. If someone is nice enough to post a way, I will check. Perhaps that would help you troubleshoot your system (by reading release notes for the versions after yours and up to mine, to see if this behavior was mentioned as a fixed bug?).

Best of luck,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer