Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-22 12:21:57

justrajdeep

installing xfce-4.8 locally from source

Hi

getting errors while installation
*** The required package exo-1 was not found on your system.
*** Please install exo-1 (atleast version 0.6.0) or adjust
*** the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
*** installed the package in a nonstandard prefix so that
*** pkg-config is able to find it.

I found that exo is already in the tar archive

Below are the steps that I have done.
I have downloaded the source from http://archive.xfce.org/xfce/4.8/fat_tarballs/

un-tar-ed using the following

taj xvjf xfce-4.8.tar.bz2 which gets extracted into ~/src dir

then un-tared individual components using
foreach a (`ls *.bz2`)
    tar xvjf $a
end

then i am trying to do a local install using
foreach a (`ls -d */`)
    cd $a
    env PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/home/rmondal/src/exo-0.6.0/ /home/rmondal/local/lib/pkgconfig /home/utils/gtk+-3.6.4/" ./configure --prefix=/home/rmondal/local
    if ($? == 1) then
        exit(1)
    endif
    /home/utils/make-3.82/bin/make
    /home/utils/make-3.82/bin/make install
    cd -
end

Please note I am trying to do an install in my home (/home/rmondal). I am using tcsh as my shell.

Thanks in advance. Please let me know if more information is needed.

#2 2013-07-23 02:24:21

ToZ

Re: installing xfce-4.8 locally from source

There is a certain order for packages that need to be installed. For a listing and detailed instructions, see: http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/building. Also note that 4.10 is the latest version of Xfce.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

#3 2013-07-23 04:11:57

justrajdeep

Hi

I have moved to the latest 4.10. I am trying to compile in the order mentioned below(similar to what you pointed out).

still getting errors. My latest tools are installed in non-standard locations. I am providing PKG_CONFIG_PATH during ./configure step as mentioned above. What is the right way to provide them.

xfce4-dev-tools-4.10.0//
libxfce4util-4.10.0//
xfconf-4.10.0//
libxfce4ui-4.10.0//
garcon-0.2.0//
exo-0.8.0//
xfce4-panel-4.10.0//
Thunar-1.4.0//
thunar-volman-0.8.0//
xfce4-settings-4.10.0//
xfce4-session-4.10.0//
xfce4-power-manager-1.2.0//
xfdesktop-4.10.0//
xfwm4-4.10.0//
xfce4-appfinder-4.10.0//
gtk-xfce-engine-3.0.0//
tumbler-0.1.25//

#4 2013-07-23 10:37:52

ToZ

Doesn't tsch use "setenv" to set environemnt variables rather the "env"? Try verifying that PKG_CONFIG_PATH is set properly prior to running the ./configure command.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information

#5 2013-07-24 04:29:49

justrajdeep

setenv is to set the set the env variable for the shell and env is for setting it while running the command. i have tried doing a setenv as well.

setenv PKG_CONFIG_PATH "/home/utils/glib-2.36.3/bin/:/home/rmondal/src/exo-0.8.0/:/home/rmondal/local/lib/pkgconfig:/home/rmondal/src/gtk-xfce-engine-3.0.0/"

I am getting something like below. Please note i have the glib in my path as well.

checking for GLIB... no
configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.24.0) were not met:

Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.24.0' but version of GLib is 2.12.3

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GLIB_CFLAGS
and GLIB_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

#6 2013-07-24 06:14:18

MountainDewManiac

Just curious... Why does one choose to compile a desktop environment instead of just using the package manager - or terminal - to install it in a quick and painless fashion? Are there options that can be edited in the source code prior to compiling that give you a more functional and/or better performing DE? Do you just enjoy the... enjoyment of the challenge? Do you mistrust the developers/maintainers of your distro and fear that they might include some bit of malware or data-harvesting code in the version that they compile for the distro's repository? Do you feel that you need to be punished for some past offense and lack the convenience of a wife to mete out that punishment for you, lol? Or... something else entirely?

Regards (and good luck),
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2013-07-24 07:23:38

justrajdeep

i woudnt take the pain if i had other options, and i guess no one in their sane mind would.
But sometimes you work on a box where you dont have administrative privileges. That leaves you out the option of using a package manager. The version of software already present there is not cutting edge and no-one will change that.
So last resort is to compile it from the source and install it locally. Hope that explains that it is not for fun that i am doing it but as a last resort.

#8 2013-07-24 10:35:39

ToZ

Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.24.0' but version of GLib is 2.12.3

Your version of GLib is too old. Which distro are you using?

#9 2013-07-24 22:13:57

andrzejr

This looks very much like RHEL5/CentOS - the most popular Linux distribution in certain fields.

I have built XFCE4.10 on RHEL5 in my user area but it wasn't easy - in addition to compiling the whole Glib/Gtk stack with all dependencies we normally take for granted (Python, newer DBUS etc), I had to modify some Xfce components (AFAIR xfce4-session and xfce4-settings) because some functions required a newer X-server (can't upgrade that without admin rights). Even then there are some glitches - Gtk theming, old DBUS daemon running in background etc. It works (I prefer it to default Gnome2) but I would recommend such procedure to someone who just wants to use (and not develop) a desktop.

As for the env variables, I set:
PATH
PKG_CONFIG_PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

Board footer