Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-15 01:03:51

jacatone

How do I replace xscreensaver with gnome-screensaver

I'm using Linux-Lite 1.0.6 which uses XFCE xscreensaver. I removed that and installed gnome-screensaver but can't seem to get it to work. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks.

#2 2013-08-15 01:45:46

MountainDewManiac

Re: How do I replace xscreensaver with gnome-screensaver

My guess would be installing gnome-screensaver was what you did wrong. The guy that wrote it hates the thought of allowing people to configure the individual screensaver "hacks" so much that he once stated that any screensaver that requires configuring is inherently broken. Case of the pot - that is sitting in a black hole - calling the kettle black, if you ask me, since I can think of a number of them that are as unbroken as time, yet are useless without one having the ability to configure them. IMHO, gnome-screensaver was designed to be a crippled app.

Just curious, but why did you decide to remove xscreensaver and replace it with gnome-screensaver? Were you having trouble with it? It has never given me any problems, but if you have issues with it, there are some really intelligent people here that could probably help you. Failing that and it was just a choice because of personal taste - IOW, you wish to keep gnome-screensaver - folks could probably help you with that, too, but I'd guess that a little more information than "can't get it to work" would be required.

BtW, welcome to the forum!

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2013-08-15 04:12:08

jacatone

Well, that response went no where. Yeah, I couldn't get xscreensaver to work. Apparently, it has to be included in the "autostart" feature of Linux Lite but I couldn't find the correct command code to install it. I've always liked gnome-screensaver for it's selection and ease of use. Very much like Windows screensaver in XP. Ubuntu is still using it so it can't be a "crippled app".

#4 2013-08-16 19:40:32

Sideburns
Website

Just because Ubuntu uses it doesn't mean that it isn't crippled.  They might like it that way.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#5 2013-10-28 23:33:01

ShavedNeck

Congrats on chasing off yet another new linux user with your asshole-ish  non-answers to a legitimate question.

#6 2013-10-29 01:24:48

Sideburns
Website

OK, here's another answer for you to dislike: gnome-screensaver was written to work with Gnome.  Xscreensaver is DE-agnostic.  Using gnome-screensaver with Xfce is just asking for trouble.

#7 2013-10-30 05:57:37

Jristz

for the record gnome-screensaver was merged into gdm for 3.10 and gdm depend on gnome-shell so I think is best run gnome entirely or ubuntu entirely (they already fork'd gnome-screensaver and adittionally use lightdm instead of gdm) after try to run xfce + gnome-screensaver and drag all gnome whit it but if you really want it want...

Maybe gnome-screensaver change the way where is start if from therminal, and compare the comand you used and the command used in /usr/bin/xflock4 and change acordlyng to you discoverments

That can by valid for any screensaver I think

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics @ 1300 MHz
:: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
:: LED with aspect ration of 16:9 in 14.0'' (1366x768) [Radeon driver]

#8 2013-11-14 04:02:10

Sideburns
Website

You can also get rid of gnome-screensaver by using lightdm instead of gdm, with the added bonus that you won't need to have gnome-shell installed.  (If you're not using gnome, you shouldn't have to have it installed.)

#9 2014-01-24 13:15:56

wtsch

jacatone wrote:

I'm using Linux-Lite 1.0.6 which uses XFCE xscreensaver. I removed that and installed gnome-screensaver but can't seem to get it to work. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks.

1. install (for openSUSE) gnome-screensaver gnome-screensaver-lang dconf gsettings-backend-dconf gsettings-desktop-schemas
2. in /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-screensaver.desktop replace

OnlyShowIn=GNOME;

within:

OnlyShowIn=GNOME;XFCE;

3. Install xautolock (openSUSE - xautolck*.rpm, Ubuntu - xautolock*.deb)
4. Create the file /etc/xdg/autostart/xautolock.desktop:
---------------
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=xautolock
Comment=Lock the screen after a certain time automagically
Exec=xautolock -time 10 -locker "gnome-screensaver-command --lock"
OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
NoDisplay=true
------------------------------

* timeout 10 min

5. OPTIONAL: gnome-screensaver settings write to xfce4-session startup  script (openSUSE: /usr/bin/startxfce4) wenn it needed:

# Enable logout in gnome screensaver
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver logout-enabled true
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver logout-delay 0
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver logout-command "xfce4-session-logout --logout"

# Disable switch user in gnome screensaver
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver user-switch-enabled false

etc.

That's all

Last edited by wtsch (2014-01-24 13:20:00)

Board footer