Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-24 03:22:01

imputerate
Website

settings > window manager > keyboard > "Previous workspace"

"Previous workspace" does not seem to mean 'last workspace visited'. What does it mean? is there a way to toggle back and forth between two workspaces (for instance, when one is logging comments on a site in an editor loaded in another workspace)? thanks, imputerate

it ain't what you know; it's who else knows it;

#2 2013-08-24 13:37:56

ToZ
Administrator

Re: settings > window manager > keyboard > "Previous workspace"

If you think of the workspaces as being numbered (1, 2, 3, 4, etc), then previous would be the workspace numerically before the one you are at (e.g. if you are on workspace 3, then previous = 2 and conversely, next = 4).

The shortcut key Ctrl+Fx where x is the workspace number takes you directly to that workspace. I find that if I need to toggle between two workspaces, I just Ctrl+Fx. The only caveat is that you need to be aware of which workspace you are on.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2013-08-24 15:30:20

MountainDewManiac

If you are in workspace one and use that option, does it "wrap around" to workspace four? If so, if you can remove workspaces three and four, "previous workspace" should always take you to the one you were previously at (since it'd be the only other choice).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2013-08-24 22:33:51

imputerate
Website

Does this mean that, if my workspaces are all in one row, Left workspace and Right workspace mean the same as Previous workspace and Next workspace? That seems redundant.

Shouldn't there be a way to return from the workspace we are presently working on to the last workspace we were working on, so that we could toggle between any two workspaces?

Is there perhaps a work-around?

it ain't what you know; it's who else knows it;

#5 2013-08-24 23:20:39

daggoth

imputerate wrote:

Does this mean that, if my workspaces are all in one row, Left workspace and Right workspace mean the same as Previous workspace and Next workspace? That seems redundant.

I totally agree. You raise a good point.

imputerate wrote:

Is there perhaps a work-around?

If all else fails, you could write a script to switch workspaces. Wmctrl and xdotool provide basic commands that can change your current workspace etc - something for you to look into perhaps.

# Get the number of my current desktop 
xdotool get_desktop

# Shift to desktop 3
xdotool set_desktop 3

# Shift to desktop 1 
wmctrl -s 1

Board footer