Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-27 19:39:40

ProfTanner

Home directory in special location

I use nis and nfs in my network to allow any user to use any workstation and still have their own home directory.  I accomplish this by mounting the nfs shares as /home. 

I also have a local administrative user on each workstation with their home directory /home1/admin. 

The problem is when the administrative user logs into xfce, they only see a blank desktop and no pannels.

Looking into /home1/admin/.xsession-errors the following warnings are recorded:
(x-session-manager:3647): xfce-session-WARNING **: Unable to launch "xfwm4": Failed to change directory '/home/admin' (No such file or directory)
(x-session-manager:3647): xfce-session-WARNING **: Unable to launch "xfsettings": Failed to change directory '/home/admin' (No such file or directory)
(x-session-manager:3647): xfce-session-WARNING **: Unable to launch "xfce4-pannel": Failed to change directory '/home/admin' (No such file or directory)
(x-session-manager:3647): xfce-session-WARNING **: Unable to launch "xfdesktop": Failed to change directory '/home/admin' (No such file or directory)

I have checked the home directory in /etc/passwd and it is /home1/admin.

I have checked /etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults and /etc/xdg/user-dirs.config and they correctly point to '$HOME/...'

I have checked /home1/admin/.config/user-dirs.dirs and it points to '$HOME/...' correctly.

What else do I need to check?

Is the x-session-manager hard coded to only allow '/home/...'?  If so, why (I want to understand)?

Last edited by ProfTanner (2013-09-27 19:40:32)

#2 2013-09-29 04:53:23

Jristz

Re: Home directory in special location

this look like a bug, why not repport it on the bugtracker??

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics @ 1300 MHz
:: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
:: LED with aspect ration of 16:9 in 14.0'' (1366x768) [Radeon driver]

Board footer