Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-24 21:45:11

aged1000

Thunar initial directory

Hi there.  I have a noob question.  When I launch Thunar, it opens to my home directory (so I see the contents of this in the file manager window).  Is there any way to configure it to open to a different directory?

#2 2014-01-24 23:14:31

daggoth

Re: Thunar initial directory

How are you launching Thunar? Through the main menu, an item on your panel, or some other method?

Thunar defaults to opening in the current directory, which is often the home folder. But it can open elsewhere if a folder path is provided. Such that thunar can launch into my Movies folder with...

$ thunar /home/melvin/Movies

If you use a panel item to launch thunar, then you can edit the panel item, and specify a different working directory.

#3 2014-01-25 09:44:26

aged1000

Thank you very much.  I launch from the panel so that was precisely the information I needed.  Thanks again!

#4 2014-01-25 18:40:36

MountainDewManiac

Since you launch from the panel, you might see if your distro's repos offer the "Places" panel applet. Mine does (I believe it's included by default). It offers - on my system - the choices of my home directory, Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Downloads, et cetera. And I just checked and I can add my own entries. I "dragged" a directory over to the left side (Side Pane) of Thunar with shortcuts showing instead of the file tree and "dropped" it at the location in the list that I wanted it to appear. I exited Thunar, removed Places from my panel, added it back, and my new entry was right where I wanted it.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer