Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-26 12:38:53

oaheix

!!olleH

Hello guys! I am an Archlinux user with an xfce desktop environment now!!

#2 2014-06-28 20:53:32

gxagar

Re: !!olleH

Hi oaheix and welcome.  Arch with XFCE is a good combo.  I ran it for awhile, but finally determined myself not geek enough for it.  So, I am now, and forseeably forever more, a Debian Stable/XFCE man in 64-bit world, and a MX/XFCE fan in 32-bit world.  I'm just the right amount of geek for them.

Last edited by gxagar (2014-06-28 20:54:22)

Linuxers Live by a CODE!

#3 2014-06-30 09:03:00

oaheix

gxagar wrote:

Hi oaheix and welcome.  Arch with XFCE is a good combo.  I ran it for awhile, but finally determined myself not geek enough for it.  So, I am now, and forseeably forever more, a Debian Stable/XFCE man in 64-bit world, and a MX/XFCE fan in 32-bit world.  I'm just the right amount of geek for them.

Thx gxagar. Actually I am not that geek, the main features that Arch attract me are that the excellent package management and fresh software source lists. There is still a long way to go for me, and hope I could learn a lot of beautiful things from this forum. Thanks again for welcoming! XD

BTW: The built-in themes for XFCE are not that beautiful, maybe I should find some third-party ones instead. In my opinion, Elementary OS has a wonderful desktop, yet the elementary theme is quite unstable in Arch.

BTW2: There has been a long time since the last stable version of XFCE, when will the new release come out?

#4 2014-07-01 19:06:34

gxagar

Timing for a new XFCE release is unknown to me.  But, I'm in no hurry for it.  I believe that slower and less change is more sure and stable.  Hence, my proclivity for Debian Stable and distros built on it.  However, I also acknowledge that slower and surer sometimes doesn't keep up with technological advances that require keeping up with (sorry), like some web pages.  One of my banks requires the absolute latest and greatest in Web Browsers to display their Login Page.  IceWeasel doesn't always keep up enough, so I must install either Firefox or Chrome just for this one purpose.  I tried using the User Agent Overrider Add-On in IceWeasel to make the bank think I had a late, great Browser, but that didn't always work either.  Consequently, I'm now in the process of building my own OS that is a Debian/Mepis/and maybe antiX Hybrid, in an effort to obtain that perfect balance between slow/stable and fast/capable.  Good Luck to me.

As for themes, I don't spend enough time at the desktop to concern myself with them.  I go an app and get to work pretty quickly.  But, I do spend a considerable amount of time running screensavers sometimes ( when wifey interrupts my work or play) so I have 200 xscreensavers installed that switch randomly every 3 minutes on dual monitors.  It's quite the show.  I do however, hope you find a theme that inspires you.  There are plenty out there.  A good place to start, if you haven't already, might be the gtk2-engines, gtk3-engines, and gtk themes in your repo.  Debian has some just for XFCE.  Good Luck.

Linuxers Live by a CODE!

Board footer