Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-04 14:02:40

davidII

different theme for a single app

Hello all,

is it possible to set a different theme for one specific application?

I found a few docs about this problem (f.e. http://askubuntu.com/questions/7808), I tried to set environment variables  GTK2_RC_FILES and GTK_THEME, but without success.

I'm currently using XFCE 4.10 on Debian Testing.

Thanks
David

#2 2014-07-04 15:04:45

ToZ
Administrator

Re: different theme for a single app

It depends on the application and the GTK version toolkit that the app is built with.

For example, to run mousepad (built on GTK2) with a different GTK2 theme, you would:

GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/<theme>/gtk-2.0/gtkrc mousepad

...where <theme> is the name of the GTK2 theme.

To run an app built on the GTK3 toolkit (example easytag) with another GTK3 theme, you would use:

GTK_THEME=<theme> easytag

...where <theme> is the name of the GTK3 theme.

Keep in mind that this only changes the GTK component of the theme, not the window manager (xfwm) component. I am unaware of a method to change the xfwm theme on a per-application basis.

What app are you trying to run?

Edit: Fixed typos.

Last edited by ToZ (2014-07-07 17:35:04)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-07-07 11:09:38

davidII

Thanks for the explanation.

ToZ wrote:

Keep in mind that this only changes the GTK component of the theme, not the window manager (xfwm) component. I am unaware of a method to change the xfwm theme on a per-application basis.

That's it. I need to change the window decoration.

Our users use two instances of web browser. One of them starts remotely and offers a special web app, so I would like to distinguish its window by other color of a title bar...

Is there anyone else who knows if it is possible in xfwm?

#4 2014-07-07 13:53:59

azim

If you can run the second instance of the browser as a different user there than it should be piece of cake i think ... (i think that since my former problems with access rights into ~/.theme folder for some users)
-
i'm not able to explain how you should achieve it but can try at home and if success will let you know, maybe ToZ will help ... he is xfceguru ;-)

Board footer