Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-18 11:28:05

gollum

Is a "clean" Workspace 2 possible ?

Hi, I am using  xfdesktop version 4.11.6, running on Xfce 4.10 with Ubuntu. Is it possible to have one of the workspaces show just the wallpaper without all the icons that I seem to build up over time ? There was an App called FENCES that would do this, I think in Windows but I don't know how to achieve this in Xfce.

Cheers . . . .Brian

Hi ToZ, thanks for the response. Can you tell me where I find the switch that controls icon display on the desktop ? Maybe I can make a script using Autokeys or something

Last edited by gollum (2014-07-21 08:19:28)

#2 2014-07-18 14:55:19

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Is a "clean" Workspace 2 possible ?

xfdesktop won't do this out of the box. You have 2 options:

1. The screenlets package has a "folderview" screenlet that apparently works kind of like Fences on windows. I've never used Fences so I'm not sure of the functionality, but the folderview screenlet lets you group icons into a "window" on the screen. I don't believe it lets you hide the display of icons on the desktop though (however, they can be turned off).

2. Programatically write a routine that will watch for workspace changes on the desktop and when it changes to the workspace you want clean, flips the switch that displays icons on the screen.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer