Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-23 04:50:06

cjsmall

Increasing window edge resistence force

I know that it is possible to adjust the edge resistence distance using the Window Manager tool.  What I would like to do is increase the force required to push a window beyond the edge of the screen or another window.  Can anyone tell me if this can be done, and if so, how?  Thanks.

#2 2014-08-23 13:21:43

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Increasing window edge resistence force

Change the "Distance" slider in Settings Manager >> Window Manager >> Advanced tab, in the "Windows Snapping" section. This seems to affect resistance offered. "Snap windows to screen border" needs to be checked.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-08-23 16:30:55

cjsmall

ToZ, thanks for pointing me back in the right direction.  I was playing with these sliders yesterday and it seemed to me that the wide/small distance had something to do with the gap between windows before they would "snap" together.  However, setting the snapping distance to Wide does indeed increase the resistance before the edge was passed, exactly as I desired.  I really don't know what I thought I was seeing before!

While we're on the topic, from my investigation so far I doubt this is possible, but on my old Sun Solaris 10 system running gnome, the window snapping is done by holding down the Shift key while moving the window.  On that system, the windows will not only align at the edges, but will snap to the corners.  Is there any hidden key in modern Xfce that does something like this?

#4 2014-08-23 16:52:19

ToZ
Administrator

cjsmall wrote:

While we're on the topic, from my investigation so far I doubt this is possible, but on my old Sun Solaris 10 system running gnome, the window snapping is done by holding down the Shift key while moving the window.  On that system, the windows will not only align at the edges, but will snap to the corners.  Is there any hidden key in modern Xfce that does something like this?

Not like that, but depending on the version of Xfwm that you are using, it does have the tiling windows effect which will tile a window to the side you move it to, from corner to corner.

To enable this, in Window Manager Tweaks, Accessibility tab, check "Automatically tile windows when moving toward the screen edge" and optionally "Use edge resistance instead of window snapping". You'll also need to uncheck the two "Wrap workspaces" options in Window Manger >> Advanced tab for this to work.

Again, IIRC, this was feature was introduced in xfwm version 4.10.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2014-08-23 17:22:45

cjsmall

ToZ, thank you for all of this great information.  I have a much better understanding of how the window manager now works.

Board footer