Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-14 10:07:43

nomko
Website

Split view under Thunar... A solution has been made available!!!

For years it wasn't possible to have split view under Thunar which which is, basically, a primary need under filemanagers. Let's be honest here, having no split view made available under Thunar is basically making Thunar cripple compared to other filemanagers. For me this was one of the few items for not using Xfce since i use split view under filemanagers a lot and it really became a basic need for. If a filemanager doesn't support split view, i ditch the whole desktop (in this case Xfce).

But now there's a patch! Now even Xfce users can have the advantages of having a split view!!!
See for more info here: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/11/split-vi … hunar.html

Good luck!

Last edited by nomko (2014-11-14 10:09:00)

My laptop:
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160*128 GiB SSD/1 TB HDD

My Linux website!

#2 2014-11-14 10:57:39

MountainDewManiac

Re: Split view under Thunar... A solution has been made available!!!

I hope, if it's an official patch that will eventually be integrated into Thunar, that they make it an OPTIONAL feature. I haven't used a dual-pane file manager since I used Microsoft's Windows 3.x series of OS. I'm glad that it's available for those who have a use for it, though. Thanks for the heads-up

I'm not sure that it's any more useful than tabs (which we already have in Thunar), though. Actually, I would consider it to be less useful, because with tabs I'm not forced to split my directory space in half just to work with two (, three, four, as many as I want) of them at the same time.

BtW, you were aware that XFCE (and all the other DEs, AfaIK) allows you to use other file managers besides Thunar, right? There's no need to stop using XFCE just because you don't like Thunar.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2014-11-14 13:59:41

Jerry3904

You might be interested to know that the Devs are evaluating a patch right now for split view that hopefully would be more sophisticated than this one and would be easily useable in Thunar. I find this passage on your linked page pretty off-putting for my own use:

Before using this patch, it's important to note that currently, the split view / extra pane feature is pretty basic: it doesn't show up in the Thunar menu (you must use "F3" to toggle the extra pane on / off), there are no specific dual pane actions and you can't set Thunar to start in split view mode by default. Also, the patch may have bugs.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#4 2014-11-14 14:02:33

ComputerBob
Website

@Jerry +1
I was just about to post the exact same message that you posted. wink

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views
My Ministry
Help! (off-topic)

#5 2014-11-14 14:26:41

Jerry3904

Ninja'd!

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#6 2014-11-15 06:07:43

ComputerBob
Website

That's what I get for thinking for a few minutes before I post.  wink

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views
My Ministry
Help! (off-topic)

Board footer