Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-02 03:00:38

WayneFatal

Install XFCE4.10 on Ubuntu 14.04, is it possible?

I have followed the directions to letter regarding compiling xfce 4.10 from source on Ubuntu 14.04, and when I got every package installed and logged in to the xfce session, it hung at the desktop screen and I only had the mouse cursor on screen.

I've tried everything, is it actually possible to compile and install from source on Ubuntu?  Are there any more detailed instructions than what appears on the site?  Any walkthroughs available?

#2 2015-05-02 03:22:16

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Install XFCE4.10 on Ubuntu 14.04, is it possible?

WayneFatal wrote:

I have followed the directions to letter regarding compiling xfce 4.10 from source on Ubuntu 14.04, and when I got every package installed and logged in to the xfce session, it hung at the desktop screen and I only had the mouse cursor on screen.

What do the log files say? (~/.xsession-errors or ~/.cache/upstart/startxfce4.log)
How do you start Xfce?

I've tried everything, is it actually possible to compile and install from source on Ubuntu?  Are there any more detailed instructions than what appears on the site?  Any walkthroughs available?

How about these?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-05-02 19:57:38

WayneFatal

That site includes a variable that is not in the official directions, mainly --sysconfdir=/etc.

my main questions really are: 1. is it possible to configure and install all packages at once?  2. When do I run export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="${PREFIX}/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH" and do I have to modify that at all? 

and as it occurs to me, 3. How would you do it?  Maybe what I need is a new perspective.

#4 2015-05-02 21:25:31

ToZ
Administrator

WayneFatal wrote:

That site includes a variable that is not in the official directions, mainly --sysconfdir=/etc.

I believe that that is the default if not specified.

my main questions really are: 1. is it possible to configure and install all packages at once?

Yes and no. You can create a script to automate running all of the build commands, but still, you'll need to create the script. If you're looking for a single build command for everything, it doesn't exist.

2. When do I run export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="${PREFIX}/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH" and do I have to modify that at all?

For every session in which you wish to build an Xfce component. For example, you open a terminal window for the purposes of building Xfce. You need to run (actually 2 commands):

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
export CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"

...then you build a few components. Then you close that terminal window and open another, then you need to rerun those commands again. Or just add them to your shell's startup file. And no, they do not need to be modified for Ubuntu or Arch. I can't comment on the other distros.

and as it occurs to me, 3. How would you do it?  Maybe what I need is a new perspective.

I believe it was you who posted over on Ubuntuforums a similar question. My answer basically was that it is difficult to install from source on Ubuntu and I suggested using the debian build method (which I outlined for you). I haven't tried the method I linked to above - it was just a link that came up when I googled. Personally, I build Xfce on Arch because I find it easier to do and maintain. In fact, all the directions you need are available in pre-built AUR git packages. For example, the the xfdesktop-git AUR package has this build script. You can see the actual working autogen (configure) command that is being used. But that is building the most up-to-date version of Xfce from the git tree on a distro that generally has the latest libraries included.

If you are determined to build this on Ubuntu, then all the best. It is not an easy thing to do. If successful, consider documenting the steps you used and post them back for anyone else that wishes to try. I'm certain its been done before - the Xubuntu team builds from source - I just haven't seen the steps fully documented anywhere.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer