Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-21 12:54:31

jfmxl

sftp plugin for thunar?

Hi.

I was opening a file on a remote server in jEdit and I thought, I wonder how hard it would be to make a thunar plugin that would open an sftp session, maybe toggle between pwd on the remote host and lpwd on the thunar host, and allow you to get from the one and put to the other ...  just ls/lls, cd/lcd, get/put for a start? Copy a file for editing locally, save it back to the remote host?

I've never written anything like that, but maybe it would be fun to try. What do you think? Got any pointers for me?

Thanks for xfce! It's great. I used to think gnome was the cat's meow, but they've gotten detached from the people who use their stuff and are pursuing ever more interdependent projects in an ever more rarified atmosphere. Gnome, systemd, big linux ... so sad to see them all gone bad. Xfce is like a breath of fresh air. Thanks for xfce.

#2 2015-08-21 13:21:48

ToZ
Administrator

Re: sftp plugin for thunar?

Assuming that you have the correct gvfs packages installed (varies from distro to distro), Thunar can already connect to sftp shares. Simply enter:

sftp://x.x.x.x

...into the path bar and it will prompt you for credentials. You can then list, view, edit and manage the files directly without the need to copy them back and forth.

You can also use gigolo to manage remote connections (the connection mount points will show up in Thunar).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-08-21 16:49:17

jfmxl

Hmm, I tried that. I must not have gvfs? The right gvfs ... I have 1.22.2-1. Debian Jessie.

Just installed gigolo

gigolo --version
gigolo 0.4.2

and that won't connect to an sftp:// address either, What do you think could be wrong?

#4 2015-08-21 17:09:27

ToZ
Administrator

Try installing the gvfs-backends package.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2015-08-21 17:55:38

jfmxl

OK, that's done it. First I use gigolo to mount a remote fs via sftp, then I can open and browse in thunar, right?

#6 2015-08-21 18:12:10

ToZ
Administrator

jfmxl wrote:

OK, that's done it. First I use gigolo to mount a remote fs via sftp, then I can open and browse in thunar, right?

Yes you could, but you don't need to use gigolo. You can open the mount directly from thunar via:

sftp://x.x.x.x

#7 2015-08-21 19:13:56

jfmxl

So, in fact, I don't need gigolo at all? What I needed was gvfs-backends?

#8 2015-08-21 21:27:26

ToZ
Administrator

Yes. Gigolo is useful front-end for helping you manage the connections, but thunar is capable of mounting them manually if needed. Gigolo is optional. Sorry if I was a little unclear with that.

#9 2015-08-22 00:58:51

jfmxl

OK ... I have another problem ... But I'll open another thread. Thanks for solving this one!

Board footer