Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-14 16:15:48

pjlbyrne

Hello World!

I just wanted to join the mailing list to get some support, but due to my workplace's £v!l proxy I cannot see them, so I joined the forums instead.

And that is my story.

PS printing is broken from xfce in debian testing! Broken I say!

(okay it is probably a printer driver problem....)

PPS _except_ for the printing issue, and a few minor niggles, xfce debian in testing is looking really good.

#2 2015-09-14 19:10:18

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Hello World!

Hello and welcome.

PS printing is broken from xfce in debian testing! Broken I say!

More likely this is a distro/driver issue since Xfce doesn't have any print utilities as part of its core set of applications. However, if you provided more information (printer model, driver, method used to set up printing) someone may be able to assist.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-09-14 21:36:29

pjlbyrne

The printer is a Samsung SL-M2875FD.

I am trying to print a 1-page pdf file which contains - I believe - multiple images. It prints fine under windows (from SumatraPDF).

I installed the 'Samsung driver' from the Samsung website, which appears to just be a ppd file.

When I added the printer in the xfce 'Print Settings' window the icon appeared with some corruption (numbers of extra black pixels?). Perhaps this is an xfce issue? Also, when I right-click on the printer icon in that window and select 'properties' then the whole window goes gray and nothing happens - supposedly it is waiting for some event which never occurs.

I also installed a 'pdf driver' which just appears to print-to-pdf. With this 'printer' also the 'Printer Drivers' windows just goes gray if I attempt to select 'properties' on it.

So, there appear to be some issues with the 'Printer Drivers' window, as well as whatever is wrong with the image printing.

Thanks for your reply.

#4 2015-09-14 23:11:33

ToZ
Administrator

pjlbyrne wrote:

I installed the 'Samsung driver' from the Samsung website, which appears to just be a ppd file.

I can't seem to find the ppd file. Can you provide a link to it? I did find an zipped install file on this page that has an install.sh command in it. Looks like a distro-agnostic install utility that installs the necessary printer/scanner drivers.

When I added the printer in the xfce 'Print Settings'...

This isn't a part of Xfce. Most likely, your distro has included a printer management utility in the default install. Which distro do you use, what version, and if possible, can you identify the utility package (possibly system-config-printer)?

Do you have cups installed?

I also installed a 'pdf driver' which just appears to print-to-pdf. With this 'printer' also the 'Printer Drivers' windows just goes gray if I attempt to select 'properties' on it.

I don't think this will help you if you are trying to print a pdf. A print-to-pdf driver is generally used to create pdf documents from other format apps.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2015-09-15 10:32:50

pjlbyrne

> I can't seem to find the ppd file. Can you provide a link to it?
> I did find an zipped install file [..] on this page that has an install.sh command in it.
> Looks like a distro-agnostic install utility that installs the necessary printer/scanner drivers.

Hmm I added:
  deb http://www.openprinting.org/download/pr … er/debian/ lsb3.2 main
to my /etc/apt/sources.list and installed:
  openprinting-ppds-pxlmono-samsung
which contains:
  /opt/OpenPrinting-Samsung/ppds/Samsung/Samsung-M267x_287x_Series-pxlmono-Samsung-en.ppd.gz
which I guess is the ppd file used. Sorry this is a bit indirect, is that enough for you?

I tried the Samsung install first and then found this openprinting thing, though it looks like they both just wrap a ppd file.

> > When I added the printer in the xfce 'Print Settings'...
> This isn't a part of Xfce. Most likely, your distro has included a printer management utility in the default install.
> Which distro do you use, what version, and if possible, can you identify the utility package (possibly system-config-printer)?

Distro is plain debian testing with xfce, I downloaded it on Sunday and upgraded it to latest.
Yes the utility is 'system-config-printer' v1.4.6.

> Do you have cups installed?
'systemctl | grep cups' shows the cups scheduler running, so I guess 'yes'
I thought 'localhost:631' had a cups admin interface though, and that is not there now, so that is a bit weird.

> > I also installed a 'pdf driver' which just appears to print-to-pdf.
> I don't think this will help you if you are trying to print a pdf. A print-to-pdf driver is generally used to create pdf documents from other format apps.
I know, thanks. I just wanted to see if I could do 'properties' on something else in the Print Settings utility.

Thanks again for your interest....

#6 2015-09-15 14:43:13

ToZ
Administrator

There appears to be a bug in debian testing with system-config-printer. See: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=791705. This appears to be preventing the properties window from opening.

> Do you have cups installed?
'systemctl | grep cups' shows the cups scheduler running, so I guess 'yes'
I thought 'localhost:631' had a cups admin interface though, and that is not there now, so that is a bit weird.

Yes it should be there. Make sure that the cups service is running. Try setting the properties through there. It should work until they get the bug sorted out.

#7 2015-09-17 08:26:39

pjlbyrne

Yes system-config-printer has now been fixed in upgrade. Unfortunately my PDF file is still not printing correctly, and Samsung support have responded with 'failed to reproduce'. Oh well I suppose I will have to pursue this elsewhere.

Thanks again.

Board footer