Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-24 13:28:38

mleo40

Multi-display options

I have no idea where to ask this, but I finally got rid of my Mac for an awesome Dell XPS 13 and Fedora/xfce.

I have an external display which works completely fine, however, when I hit "f8" to bring up the "Display" options which lists both displays and asks if I want to "mirror" or "extend to the right", why doesn't it give me the option to put "above" or "below", too?

If I open the Display settings screen, I do get to place one screen on top the other, so technically it works, but it would be great if I could do that from the f8 key menu (which also automatically pops up when I plug in the display).

Also, even if I make my laptop screen the "primary", my menu bar is only ever on the big external monitor.

Anyway...is this an xfce thing?  an X-org thing?  A keyboard mapping thing?

thanks!

#2 2015-09-24 14:36:20

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Multi-display options

Hello and welcome.

Just to confirm, are you using Xfce version 4.12? (The information below pertains to 4.12)

I have an external display which works completely fine, however, when I hit "f8" to bring up the "Display" options which lists both displays and asks if I want to "mirror" or "extend to the right", why doesn't it give me the option to put "above" or "below", too?

This "minimal" version of the display settings screen doesn't include that option. You can create an enhancement request over at https://bugzilla.xfce.org/ to ask the developer to consider adding it. The minimal screen does have an "Advanced" button that will take you to the full settings display dialog.
d807.png

Also, even if I make my laptop screen the "primary", my menu bar is only ever on the big external monitor.

What screen configuration are you setting? External over laptop? In the panel properties, on the "General" tab, there is an "Output" option that lets you specify on which monitor you want the panel to display.
p1d8c690193321e50bca8f3f017c7ed0f.png

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-09-24 14:55:19

mleo40

Re: Multi-display options

Your first response is exactly right, and I will make a feature request as you suggest.

I didn't notice the option in your second response.   When I plug back in, I'll check.

Thanks!!

Board footer