Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-18 06:14:49

kalwisti

xfburn speed detection issue

This is my first post. I'm new to Xfce (and enjoying it!), although I'm not a new Linux user. After browsing this forum, I decided to register because there's a lot of knowledgeable Xfce folks here. I'm hoping that someone will have an idea about this problem ... I have Googled quite a bit (as well as searching the Fedora Forum), but so far have found little info.

I'm running the Xfce Spin of Fedora 12 "Constantine," which includes Xfburn 0.4.3. I just tried -- twice -- to burn a Linux .iso file to CD-R with Xfburn, and it had problems "remembering" the burn speed I had chosen.

On each attempt I selected a burn speed of 8x (the slowest speed of my CD Writer). (Note: Xfburn did present me with a list of various speeds available under the "Speed" drop-down menu). However, each time Xfburn disregarded / ignored my speed choice; the burn began slowly, but after a moment, it began to accelerate. The burn speed accelerated steadily, increasing to approx. 22-23x -- almost like a runaway train.

Other bits in the puzzle:

My DVD(-CD) Writer is a Samsung SH-S222L. (Xfburn identifies it as a "TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222L." Apparently some of the (older) drives of this model were branded as Toshiba, while some are branded as Samsung. My unit is a bulk version [?] which doesn't have a logo stamped on it).

I stuck with the default Write Mode of "Auto."

I believe the media was not faulty; I used CDs of reasonable quality: an HP CD-R (52x, 700 MB) on my first try and a TDK CD-R (52x, 700MB) on my second attempt.

I suspect this is an Xfburn-specific issue because I installed GnomeBaker 0.6.4 and it maintained a steady speed of 8x throughout the burn procedure. However, if I understand correctly, GnomeBaker uses a different set of underlying libraries than Xfburn does. So I realize it's possible that there might be a problem with the base libraries, or with Fedora's implementation of those libraries.

Has anyone else experienced similar behavior with Xfburn? If so, is there a way to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Registered Linux User # 442201

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW

#2 2010-04-20 13:35:40

Snood

Re: xfburn speed detection issue

Have you tried launching xfburn from a terminal window and performing a low speed burn? The output listed in the terminal window might be useful.

If you have another drive you could substitute for this one, or an external (USB) writer that you could test, it might also be instructive to see if xfburn (as installed on this system) behaves properly with alternate writers.

I think you'll probably have to do some experimenting -- making small changes in settings and testing again and again -- to see if you get different results with different settings.

In previous versions of xfburn when I ran into some problems I communicated directly with the author, and he was quite responsive. I believe that, when the software presents application popup error messages, it even suggests contacting the developer.

#3 2010-04-21 01:39:20

kalwisti

Hi, Snood,

Many thanks for the great suggestions! I'll give them a try and report back on what I find. Although I don't have easy access to another drive for testing purposes, I'll definitely launch Xfburn from a Terminal and look at its output. When I have more evidence in hand, I will consider contacting David Mohr and Mario Danic (listed as the program's authors/maintainers).

Thanks again for your help,
=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW

#4 2010-05-15 17:23:33

fredbird67

I've had similar issues too, so I (grudgingly, since it pulls in KDE dependencies) downloaded and installed K3B.  I prefer a 4x burning speed, but Xfburn doesn't let me go lower than 8x, whereas at least K3B honors my wishes in this department.  I used to use GnomeBaker, but it's not very stable, and Brasero is even worse than Xfburn, as it doesn't let me select anything slower than 24x (yikes!), so that's why I've gone with K3B, at least for the time being until Xfburn gets its act together in this department.

Fred in St. Louis

Have you heard that Microsoft bought Hoover vacuum?  This means that Microsoft finally has a product that doesn't suck!

Board footer