Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-09 02:34:35

xpacker

Another defector from Gnome

Hello--

I've dabbled with XFCE before in "play" distros that I try out on my legacy 384mb RAM desktop.  This is the first time I've really given it a whirl in my "real" computers.  I upgraded to openSuse 12.1 and found Gnome 3 a big "no way."  And these new articles about Linus Torvalds finding Gnome 3 (w/plugins) becoming "almost" usable -- don't really sell me.

I like the clean interface that XFCE offers.  As far as I can tell, it does everything I need, sensibly and without too much fuss.  If I had to choose a wish-list, I'd like a Split Window in Thunar, for easier copying or moving.  And I'd *really* like to figure out how to get rid of that dang Gnome keyring.  I disabled it from the startup application list, but that doesn't stop it from spinning 'round and 'round the first time I open Firefox.  I've searched high and low for a clue.  To me, it seems very un-linuxy not to have the option to chuck it.

In general, it's quite an excellent DE.  Hopefully, I'll be able to enjoy it for a couple of years before the developers decide to "improve" its "experience" with hideous, flashy, pointless eye-candy and frustrating, unintuitive command sequences to drill through.  Just a little bitter, I am.

But really, thanks to the developers for their terrific work!  I look forward to becoming a die-hard convert.

xpacker

#2 2011-12-09 02:54:51

angstrom

Re: Another defector from Gnome

It's possible to get rid of gnome-keyring stuff (I also have openSuse 12.1). I'm using kdm4 as login manager. Make sure that it's disabled in startup and also in the session : xfce4-session-settings > Session tab. Disable "Launch gnome service" in Advance tab (I don't if this is related but on my configuration there is no kde and gnome service enabled.  And the last thing : clear the folder ~/.cache

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2011-12-09 04:42:32

xpacker

Thanks, Angstrom.  I realize now that it's probably not a Gnome Keyring thing.  I'd also uninstalled keyring completely via YaST.

I don't know why, but on two of my laptops my wireless spins and spins at login.  It takes about 20 seconds to get a connection, very frustrating.  On my KDE laptop, which actually has much less RAM, there's no lag.  The internet connects immediately at login.

Maybe I should move this to another forum area.....

#4 2011-12-09 12:23:21

angstrom

OpenSuse forum is pretty active.
Otherwise, I use wicd instead of NetworkManager. It's much lighter, simplier and work perfectly with Xfce, KDE and even Runlevel 3 !!

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#5 2011-12-27 02:50:01

moonstroller

xpacker wrote:

Hello--

I've dabbled with XFCE before in "play" distros that I try out on my legacy 384mb RAM desktop.  This is the first time I've really given it a whirl in my "real" computers.  I upgraded to openSuse 12.1 and found Gnome 3 a big "no way."  And these new articles about Linus Torvalds finding Gnome 3 (w/plugins) becoming "almost" usable -- don't really sell me.

I like the clean interface that XFCE offers.  As far as I can tell, it does everything I need, sensibly and without too much fuss.  If I had to choose a wish-list, I'd like a Split Window in Thunar, for easier copying or moving.  And I'd *really* like to figure out how to get rid of that dang Gnome keyring.  I disabled it from the startup application list, but that doesn't stop it from spinning 'round and 'round the first time I open Firefox.  I've searched high and low for a clue.  To me, it seems very un-linuxy not to have the option to chuck it.

In general, it's quite an excellent DE.  Hopefully, I'll be able to enjoy it for a couple of years before the developers decide to "improve" its "experience" with hideous, flashy, pointless eye-candy and frustrating, unintuitive command sequences to drill through.  Just a little bitter, I am.

But really, thanks to the developers for their terrific work!  I look forward to becoming a die-hard convert.

xpacker

I like the un-linuxy comment. there is much of that going around. I started out with slackware 3.0 and I've been hooked on non-gui every since. xfce gives me all the gui activity I need with very little un-linuxy incidents.

Board footer