Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-15 21:04:54

Quantum

Does Not Save Sessions

I know a couple of bugs have been filed about this, but one of my machines simply will not save sessions.  This is a dealkiller for me, as I always have alot going on.  It just comes up with a blank desktop and panel every time.

I've tried checking Save Sessions, and unchecking with it checked in logout.  I've tried Sessions|ManuallySave, and nothing works.

While I'm at it, on the other machine (which sort of saves sessions) when I run Apps|Accessories|RootTerminal, size the window, then log out/in, the terminal is no longer root, but my user.  And it never restores the Iceweasel window, much less the webpage it was on.

Why can't xfce keep track of these things?  Does anyone know how the internals of this are actually supposed to work?

Last edited by Quantum (2012-10-15 21:05:44)

#2 2012-10-15 21:10:46

angstrom

Re: Does Not Save Sessions

Try to clean/delete ~/.cache

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2012-10-15 21:27:13

Quantum

Zero.  I
- logged out
- sshed over and deleted everything in ~/.cache/*
- logged in
- started root terminal, gksu thunar, synaptic, and iceweasel on startpage.com
- logged out
- logged in and,

... clear desktop.

Any idea of the mechanism?

#4 2012-10-16 03:19:35

ToZ
Administrator

I had a similar problem with one of my setups a while back, and it turned out that X was crashing during the log out process before the config files could be written. In Xubuntu (not sure of other distros), user Xsession errors are logged to ~/.xsession-errors and I was able to see when and where the system was crashing.

You might also want to check the permissions on the ~/.config/xfce4 files and directories to make sure that you have the necessary permissions to write there.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2012-10-16 16:12:39

Quantum

Well done ToZ.  I'm getting a cavelcade of errors:

Thunar: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :68.0.
xfce4-terminal: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :68.0.
synaptic: Fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server :68.0.
xfsettingsd: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :68.
xfce4-clipman: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :68.0.
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
kerneloops-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :68.0.
system-config-printer-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :68.0.

Looks like they all have the same provenance, but no idea what could be causing it.

Last edited by Quantum (2012-10-16 16:29:51)

#6 2012-10-16 18:56:02

ToZ
Administrator

You might also want to have a look at your Xorg.0.log file (in /var/log for Xubuntu) to see if any other relevant information might be available. I believe those messages are just telling you that the X resources no longer exist.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#7 2012-10-16 21:20:29

Quantum

Ya, nothing wrong there.  Only seemingly significant errors are in .xsession-x2go-error.

#8 2012-10-17 02:13:31

ToZ
Administrator

There must be some indication of why X is crashing somewhere. What about the other log files in /var/log? dmesg, syslog, etc.

BTW, what distro are you using?

#9 2012-10-17 16:54:53

Quantum

Maybe X is not crashing.  For some reason it's not saving sessions.  The only errors I have are above in #5

This is Debian Testing.

#10 2012-10-17 19:13:04

ToZ
Administrator

Out of curiosity, have you tried with a second account on the problem computer? Maybe its something in the user configs that causing the problem?

#11 2012-10-17 23:14:40

Quantum

Unluckily, starting with a new user does the same thing.  It can not remember the prior session.

This is on one of my machines, but not the other.  I've made sure both have the same settings.  I have one more machine to convert to XFCE, and it absolutely MUST save sessions.  I'd better wait.

#12 2012-11-22 03:55:02

golinux

I have several 'flavors' of wheezy xfce installed.   All installs use the same mozilla profile.   All of them save sessions (more or less) but only one saves the 5 iceweasel windows that I always keep open on several desktops.   Sure, I can restore them with the session manager addon but it's easier to do it with xfce sessions.

The working session configuration has this entry which is absent in the other two:

Priority 50
PID  xxxx
Program  firefox-bin 
Restart Style  if running

I have checked the installed packages on all three and can't see what might be missing.  I have also looked for a configuration file that I might be able to tweak but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Board footer