Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-16 22:05:14

s0ulslack

How to ask a Question

Before you ask a question, please make sure you've searched the Forum.  You can also try the Wiki, it contains a great FAQ, Tips & Tricks as well as How To's.

Things to include in you post:

• Xfce Version

• Your Distribution and Version

• If you've problems starting an application then run the app from a terminal and post all errors

• Any other information that you think may be useful (its better to have too much info than not enough)

If you question is answered please put "[solved]" in front of the title, you do this by editing you first post and modifying the subject line.

Thanks and enjoy the Forums!

#2 2009-10-17 02:29:48

~sHyLoCk~

Re: How to ask a Question

Please correct the Wiki Url.

#3 2009-10-17 03:53:10

s0ulslack

~sHyLoCk~ wrote:

Please correct the Wiki Url.

Corrected, thanks smile

#4 2013-05-25 06:43:49

cross93

thanks, information

#5 2013-06-19 19:42:21

DavidBiesack

It might be nice to describe how to find the version(s)

I found I can use

xfce4-panel --version
xfdesktop-settings --version

(that is two dashes) and the tools print their versions:

xfce4-panel 4.10.0 (Xfce 4.10)
xfdesktop-settings 4.10.2 (Xfce 4.10)

But it is dangerous to run

startxfce4 --version

as that does not print the version, but starts a new session and runs your xinit again

I don't know the commands for some of the xfce components

#6 2014-12-07 14:01:50

ToZ
Administrator

BBCode formatting tags can be found here.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#7 2014-12-12 00:35:30

MountainDewManiac

Moderators/staff,

I've come up with some suggestions. I hope no one minds.

s0ulslack wrote:

[*]Xfce Version[/*]

Suggest editing post #1 to include the method for finding the above.

s0ulslack wrote:

[*]Your Distribution and Version[/*]

Suggest editing post #1 to include the method for finding the above. Also suggest editing post #1 to explain what "distribution" is for the extreme newbies (or at least changing the text to read "Your Distribution (e.g. Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint, Debian, Arch, et cetera) and Version" so that they won't either ignore the suggestion or ask what a distribution is). Extra points for explaining that the term is often shortened to "distro."

s0ulslack wrote:

[*]If you've problems starting an application then run the app from a terminal and post all errors[/*]

IDK that it is necessary to explain how to run a terminal and how to find the name of the app if it is not self-evident, but if there is a suffix/modifier that can be added to return some kind of extra information (log?) that would be helpful, that might be something to add to post #1.

Suggest editing post #1 to include the terminal command that displays hardware information. I recall that, whatever it is (initix, or did I mangle it?), one can get different information by adding the "-F" modifier (or maybe I've got that screwed up too, IDK roll ).

Suggest specifically mentioning the proper use of CODE tags in the first post, since it makes the questioner's terminal text-output much easier to read; they might not follow the link to the BBCode formatting tags because they don't have a clue what those are (and because that isn't mentioned in post #1) - and, even if they do, they might not attach any particular significance to "CODE."

Typing, err, speaking of terminal activity, it might not hurt to explain exactly how a person can use their mouse to highlight portions of the text and use their right-click menu or shift CTRL-C to copy the output so that they can insert it in a CODE "box" - and use shift CTRL-V to paste anything that a helper posts in a code box into their terminal. IDK the best way to word it, y'all know what I mean, lol.

Finally, suggest deleting THIS post after the above is accomplished, so as to keep this thread as short/"pure" as possible. You could add some text at the bottom of post #1 stating that people are welcome to post additional suggestions to be added to post #1 - and I'd delete those suggestion posts after incorporating their information if it were me, but that's just a suggestion that might help Joe Newbie not be overwhelmed by a multi-post thread (as opposed to one post that explains everything). I'm adding a link to the thread to my .SIG. I assume that all of the staff (who actively post) will/have, as well. I'm pretty sure that ToZ already has.

Best regards and thank you for all the work you do,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2014-12-12 00:36:27)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#8 2014-12-12 04:15:15

ToZ
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback, MDM. I have "unstuck" this thread and created a new "How To Ask For Help" thread that incorporates your comments. I have made that thread sticky and put it in the the "Say Hello" section.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer