Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-06 20:24:16

virx

[Solved] Close maximized window from top-right corner

Hi!

After making window resizing while moving it with mouse from titlebar to against screen edges to fill half screen has made XFCE4 almost perfect desktop to me. What I am still missing is closing maximized windows easy without aiming for the "cross" button. I know it is possible in windows, unity (from top left screen), Mint desktop. You can just throw mouse to top right screen without "breaking/aiming" and click. Is it already somehow possible from XFCE4 or is such feature planned for future?

smile

#2 2013-12-07 00:20:12

gnome_refugee

Re: [Solved] Close maximized window from top-right corner

Hi, virx.

You don't like closing a maximised window with Alt+F4? This and other keyboard shortcuts for window management are at Settings > Window Manager > Keyboard.

#3 2013-12-07 11:21:20

virx

Yes I am aware of that possibility, but thx for pointing out. It's just when I do most window tasks (move windows and minize or maximise them with mouse), then it would be easier to close them also the same way as I am used to from windows days...

#4 2013-12-07 15:08:17

ToZ
Administrator

I had no idea you could do that with Windows.

Anyways, you can mimic that behaviour in Xfce but you need to have a few things setup properly first:

1. By default, Xfce has a top panel and it uses up the space so throwing the mouse to the top corner won't work because the panel will take the focus. So you need to move the panel away from the top (to the left or bottom).

2. You need to set "Hide frame of windows when maximized" in Settings Manager -> Window Manager Tweaks -> Accessibility so that the frame doesn't occupy the space in the most top-right corner

3. The Window Manager theme must have a close button that occupies the most top-right corner (not all do). I use Bluebird, it does not. Daloa does. You'll have to test them to find out which ones do.

Then you should be able to throw your mouse to the top right corner, press the button and the window will close.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2013-12-07 20:04:15

virx

Thx, ToZ.
"Hide frame of windows when maximized" was already set by default, but changing window manager style really helped "lifting" close button to the corner. I am using Metabox now. I guess I keep installing XFCE to others also.

Board footer