Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-16 19:17:13

LanManT

[Solved] Screencasting - RecordMyDesktop Slowed recording and playback

Here is a wierd issue that I cannot figure out. can anyone assist with what and where to look.

Before i reinstall the os i wanted to post it here as i see this problem cannot be found searching the internet.

when using ANY screencasting application using xfce on debian or ubuntu, the video and audio recorded is slowed down but NOT out of sync

Im also running Mate and E17 on the same PC and the recordings are normal
I also have a PC running Archlinux/xfce/compiz and the problem does not exist at this time.

I am running debian jessie/xfce/kwin and i also had this same issue with Xubuntu 13.10/xfce/compiz months ago.

in a fresh install the problem is not there but after installing software and updates it will re-appear and making screencasts useless.

I have created a sample to listen to and the orginal post as just a sample.

original video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gCwCOhMcog

link using recordmydesktop video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8s3rq5v2vdybyn/linux.ogv

link to audio mp3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/17l96wnpgnhzpmf/linux.mp3

Again this is a systemwide issue as any screencasting software yields the same results and appears to be debian based specific.

Last edited by LanManT (2014-02-21 01:04:34)

#2 2014-02-17 00:28:43

MountainDewManiac

Re: [Solved] Screencasting - RecordMyDesktop Slowed recording and playback

Strange. If using a variable-speed (?) CPU, have you tried manually setting it to full speed? I doubt that is it, but it would be easy to check.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2014-02-17 04:12:42

LanManT

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Strange. If using a variable-speed (?) CPU, have you tried manually setting it to full speed? I doubt that is it, but it would be easy to check.

Regards,
MDM

Thanks for the reply but I am using a desktop I5 and not a laptop.

my CPU freq is hard set.

#4 2014-02-17 04:55:31

MountainDewManiac

Ah. You might be lucky with your problem, as you mentioned that the issue is not there initially but, rather, appears after installing software and updates.

I suggest that you create a fresh install of your OS and only select one file at a time from the list your update manager provides you. Allow it to update/install that file. Make a test recording. Review it. Rinse. Lather. Repeat. Continue in this fashion until you make a test recording and, upon reviewing it, discover that your issue has appeared. Tedious, I know - but this will show you which file is causing the issue; and, at that point, you should be able to contact a developer, file a bug report on that specific file, have information specific enough for the community that someone can offer you a solution (or workaround), or possibly all of the above.

Good luck,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#5 2014-02-18 04:12:37

LanManT

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Ah. You might be lucky with your problem, as you mentioned that the issue is not there initially but, rather, appears after installing software and updates.

I suggest that you create a fresh install of your OS and only select one file at a time from the list your update manager provides you. Allow it to update/install that file. Make a test recording. Review it. Rinse. Lather. Repeat. Continue in this fashion until you make a test recording and, upon reviewing it, discover that your issue has appeared. Tedious, I know - but this will show you which file is causing the issue; and, at that point, you should be able to contact a developer, file a bug report on that specific file, have information specific enough for the community that someone can offer you a solution (or workaround), or possibly all of the above.

Good luck,
MDM

yeah that will be the plan, i might be ahead on this as i did read a debian bug report for audacity which is installed and i do not recall even installing it during my build. and its not installed on my arch system. But with E17 and Mate working just leaves me perplexed.

And with over 50 apps and all the customizations i am not looking forward to a rebuild.

I will update this post with my findings

Thanks

Last edited by LanManT (2014-02-18 04:16:30)

#6 2014-02-19 17:33:29

LanManT

Well i was able to solve this issue.

i did re-install installing my software in blockes of 4 and found the app that caused this issue.

in skype go to options > sound devices and uncheck allow skype to auto adjust mixer levels

Reboot

set skype to not autostart or

after the reboot if skype is set to auto start, close skype and recordings are normal. if you relaunch skype the recordings are still normal until a reboot and you will need to close skype and relaunch again,

i have also confirmed with my DE of mate, e17 and my other arch desktop pc. skype is not set to auto start which is why it was not an issue on those DE and system.

This was not an Xfce issue. will try to forward to skype dev's

#7 2014-02-19 19:11:12

MountainDewManiac

Thanks for letting us know (and for reporting the issue with Skype).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

Board footer