Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-07 12:21:22

mdavies5

Linux Lite. ALmost perfect

Move Panel to top of screen) as the defaults were well chosen to present a beautiful clean look. Most of the installed apps were the ones I normally used anyway. It uses about 100Mb less Ram and 1Gb less disk then most other distros I have used.
My first instinct was to write and congratulate you on your fine work, and I do, of course. However, I felt it was worthy of a more thorough testing. I have to compare it with my existing Linux Mint Debian and Ubuntu versions and they set a high bar so the following comments are not in any way intended as criticism. I should also mention I did not read the manual or any release notes before installing and using:
1. After installing from the Live USB the usual message "Remove media and Press enter" was not visible. Nitpicking but could fool some new users to Linux.
2. When using GPart it always reported my USB stick as having a corrupt file system. Other distros, using GPart, no problem was found. It even happened when I created Live USB using the DD command and yet this USB stick could be booted and run another distro.
3. I liked the ability to create custom actions in Thunar. Given time I may have got it to work the way I like but Nemo in Cinnamon works out of the box. Functions I like are: a) The ability to right click a script file and "Run in Terminal". b)The ability to right click and "Show hidden files". c) The ability to switch between "Pathbar Style" and "Toolbar Style" without going into the menus.
4. On first use, the "Install Updates" did not work and "Add/Remove Software" had nothing to offer. Of course it all came to life after I ran "Install Updates" and the software packages were downloaded. It also explained why your installation was so fast:). It was a bit concerting compared to how other distros behave.

Good luck and thanks for all your hard work.

#2 2014-06-07 12:25:45

mdavies5

Re: Linux Lite. ALmost perfect

One point I forgot to mention.
It would help if you supplied a USB Image Writer. UnetBootin does not work with many of the latest distros including LL, Solydx and Debian 7.5. I had to use mintstick from LMDE distro to test these distros.

#3 2014-06-08 00:39:48

ozjd
Website

Re: Linux Lite. ALmost perfect

Unetbootin is known not to work with many distros. It doesn't work with any Fedora or related ones.

Board footer