Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-25 01:40:47

netllama

Re: Function keys do nothing to control brightness/volume

ToZ wrote:

I downloaded the latest fedora xfce spin and booted my laptop with it. The brightness keys worked and I didn't get the "not authorized" error message. So there is something off with your config. (If you can, download the latest ISO and boot with it to see if it works for you).

Can you post back the contents of /usr/share/polkit.d/actions/org.xfce.power?

On Fedora, the file is /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.xfce.power.policy:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/PolicyKit/1.0/policyconfig.dtd">
<policyconfig>

<vendor>XFCE Power Manager</vendor>
  <vendor_url>http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/xfce4-power-manager</vendor_url>
  <icon_name>battery</icon_name>

<action id="org.xfce.power.backlight-helper">

<description>Modify the laptop display brightness</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to modify the laptop display brightness</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>no</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>
    <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/sbin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper</annotate>
  </action>

<action id="org.xfce.power.xfce4-pm-helper">

<description>Suspend or hibernate the system</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to place the system in suspend or hibernate mode</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>auth_admin</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>auth_admin</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>
    <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/sbin/xfce4-pm-helper</annotate>
  </action>

</policyconfig>
ToZ wrote:

Also the contents of ~/.xsession-errors on a fresh login to see if there is anything there.

xfce4-session-Message: SSH authentication agent is already running
gpg-agent[2164]: WARNING: "--write-env-file" is an obsolete option - it has no effect
gpg-agent[2165]: gpg-agent (GnuPG) 2.2.6 started

(xfce4-session:2158): xfce4-session-WARNING **: gpg-agent returned no PID in the variables

** (wrapper-2.0:2244): WARNING **: could not get output property

(wrapper-2.0:2244): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content width -3 (allocation 1, extents 2x2) while allocating gadget (node button, owner PowerManagerButton)

(xfce4-session:2158): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_visible: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(xfce4-session:2158): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
xfce-polkit: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
Gdk-Message: nm-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

Gdk-Message: abrt: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

gpg-agent[2165]: SIGHUP received - re-reading configuration and flushing cache
gpg-agent[2165]: option file '/home/netllama/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf': No such file or directory
gpg-agent[2165]: SIGTERM received - shutting down ...
gpg-agent[2165]: gpg-agent (GnuPG) 2.2.6 stopped

#27 2018-04-25 01:50:56

ToZ
Administrator

Re the volume keys:
Just tested the volume keys as well. They didn't work out of the box. I had to put the pulseaudio plugin onto the panel and set it to handle keyboard shortcuts for volume control. Most importantly, xfce4-volumed wasn't running (there is no xfce4-volumed-pulse in the repositories). Kill the xfce4-volumed process and see it the pulseaudio-plugin alone works.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#28 2018-04-25 01:52:49

ToZ
Administrator

xfce-polkit: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
Gdk-Message: nm-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

Gdk-Message: abrt: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

Somethings not right with the polkit agent. Try killing the process and starting it manually, then try the brightness keys.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#29 2018-04-25 02:35:04

netllama

ToZ wrote:

Somethings not right with the polkit agent. Try killing the process and starting it manually, then try the brightness keys.

Hrmm, that doesn't seem to work.  After killing the xfce-polkit process, when I attempt to start it again, it throws a warning and then aborts:

$ /usr/libexec/xfce-polkit

** (xfce-polkit:14213): WARNING **: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: User of caller and user of subject differs.

#30 2018-04-25 02:46:02

netllama

welp, i tried one more time, and this time the  xfce-polkit command worked.  However, hitting the brightness function keys didn't work, and the following appeared in .xsession-errors:

(wrapper-2.0:1541): xfce4-power-manager-plugin-WARNING **: failed calling GetInhibitors: Timeout was reached

(wrapper-2.0:1541): xfce4-power-manager-plugin-WARNING **: failed calling GetInhibitors: Timeout was reached

#31 2018-04-25 04:26:11

MountainDewManiac

Contents of /etc/rc.local ?
Executable?
systemd? (I assume, "Yes," but IDK.)
systemctl enable rc-local.service ?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#32 2018-04-25 07:20:09

z_free

I got the same problem after updating the kernel to 4.15.17-300.fc27.x86_64. When booting up my fedora with the older kernel (4.15.16) my keys work again.

Oh, and I'm using gnome. So I guess this particular problem is related to the kernel and not to xfce.

Side note: when updating to 4.15.17 my laptop lid was closed and I was using only an external screen. I had a theory that I got the wrong set-up because of this, but now that I see you have the same problem I think it's the kernel.

#33 2018-04-25 10:38:35

ToZ
Administrator

@z_free, thanks for the information. I didn't consider that maybe its a kernel issue. I only tested with the kernel that comes on the distribution ISO.

@netllama, can you try downgrading the kernel to see if that helps?

And BTW, @z_free, welcome to the forums.

#34 2018-04-25 11:47:43

z_free

OK, it's definitely the kernel, here's the bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1571036

However, it only addresses the brightness controls and not the volume buttons (which work for me even on the newest kernel)

thanks, @ToZ smile

#35 2018-04-26 01:09:12

netllama

I don't think that kernel bug is the same issue that I'm experiencing for several reasons:

0) My problem started after upgrading from Fedora24 to 25, which predates that bug by over a year
1) Booting with "video.only_lcd=0" doesn't have any impact on my system
2) At least one person in that bug report state that /sys/class/backlight is empty unless they boot with "video.only_lcd=0" .  Its not empty on my system, regardless of the boot parameter.
3) I'm still able to adjust screen brightness when using Gnome.

However, just to be sure, I downgraded the kernel to 4.13.9-300.fc27 (the very first Fedora27 kernel).  No change, the backlight keys still did nothing.

#36 2018-04-26 01:11:27

ToZ
Administrator

So we're back to the policykit issue.

Can you download the latest ISO of the Xfce spin and boot your computer with it. Log in as the live user and see if the brigthness keys work.

#37 2018-04-27 01:00:05

netllama

I tried booting from the Fedora27 live image.  X hangs when starting, and I never get to a desktop.

#38 2018-04-27 12:49:56

ToZ
Administrator

That's too bad. We can't test out a clean slate. I don't have much experience with Fedora to help you through that.

Can you post back the contents of /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/50-default.rules

... and the results of these commands:

ls /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/
groups
pkaction --action-id org.xfce.power.backlight-helper --verbose
echo $?
pkcheck --action-id org.xfce.power.backlight-helper --process $(pidof xfce4-power-manager)
echo $?

#39 2018-04-27 22:45:57

netllama

/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/50-default.rules:

/* -*- mode: js; js-indent-level: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*- */

// DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, it will be overwritten on update
//
// Default rules for polkit
//
// See the polkit(8) man page for more information
// about configuring polkit.

polkit.addAdminRule(function(action, subject) {
    return ["unix-group:wheel"];
});
$ ls /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/
49-polkit-pkla-compat.rules  50-default.rules

$ groups
netllama

$ pkaction --action-id org.xfce.power.backlight-helper --verbose
org.xfce.power.backlight-helper:
  description:       Modify the laptop display brightness
  message:           Authentication is required to modify the laptop display brightness
  vendor:            XFCE Power Manager
  vendor_url:        http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/xfce4-power-manager
  icon:              battery
  implicit any:      no
  implicit inactive: no
  implicit active:   yes
  annotation:        org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path -> /usr/sbin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper

$ echo $?

$ pidof xfce4-power-manager
1620 1522

$pkcheck --action-id org.xfce.power.backlight-helper --process $(pidof xfce4-power-manager)
pkcheck: Unexpected argument `1522'

$ echo $?

#40 2018-04-27 23:53:38

ToZ
Administrator

Why do you have 2 xfce4-power-manager processes running? Can you post back:

ps -ef | grep xfce4-power-manager

Also try adding your user to the "wheel" group, logging out and back in again, and testing.

#41 2018-04-28 00:00:01

netllama

I'm not sure why there are two processes.

$ ps -ef | grep xfce4-power-manager
david     1522     1  0 06:40 ?        00:00:02 xfce4-power-manager --restart --sm-client-id 2b4d67912-768d-496c-b709-45b3424297e9
david     1620     1  0 06:40 ?        00:00:00 xfce4-power-manager
root     15489 15466  0 16:54 pts/1    00:00:00 grep --color=auto xfce4-power-manager

I added the user to the wheel group, rebooted, and tested again.  No change.

#42 2018-04-28 10:39:21

ToZ
Administrator

You should only have one xfce4-power-manager process.

Try this process:
1. Restart your computer.
2. Before you log in, go to a text console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and log in there.
3. Clear your sessions cache:

cd ~/.cache/sessions
rm -rf *

4. Go back to your graphical display manager (usually Ctrl+Alt+F7) and log in.

Check that there is only one xfce4-power-manager process running.
Check the brightness keys. If they still don't work, post back the results from post #38 above.

Also, try creating a secondary user on your account and logging in as that user and checking the brightness keys (to rule out a profile issue).

#43 2018-04-28 23:24:18

netllama

I tried originally with a new user, and it didn't work there either.  I've deleted the cached session data on the new user, and run the commands that you requested from #38:

netllama
org.xfce.power.backlight-helper:
  description:       Modify the laptop display brightness
  message:           Authentication is required to modify the laptop display brightness
  vendor:            XFCE Power Manager
  vendor_url:        http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/xfce4-power-manager
  icon:              battery
  implicit any:      no
  implicit inactive: no
  implicit active:   yes
  annotation:        org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path -> /usr/sbin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper

#44 2018-04-29 00:53:06

ToZ
Administrator

With the new user account, check if you get the same "not authorized" message in the xfce4-power-manager debug output:

xfce4-power-manager -q
xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug

#45 2018-04-29 20:45:49

netllama

Interestingly, with the new user, the function keys for brightness work for a single press, but then never again after that (until I log out & back in again).  Here's hte output that I see from 'xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug':

xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug

** (xfce4-power-manager:2661): WARNING **: Failed to get name owner: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.PowerManagement': no such name

** (xfce4-power-manager:2661): WARNING **: Failed to get name owner: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.xfce.PowerManager': no such name

TRACE[xfpm-main.c:205] xfpm_start(): Starting the power manager
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for general-notification
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for lock-screen-suspend-hibernate
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for critical-power-level
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for show-brightness-popup
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for handle-brightness-keys
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for critical-power-action
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for lid-action-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for lid-action-on-battery
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-level-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-level-on-battery
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-slider-min-level
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for dpms-enabled
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for dpms-on-ac-sleep
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for dpms-on-ac-off
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for dpms-on-battery-sleep
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for dpms-on-battery-off
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for dpms-sleep-mode
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-on-battery
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-sleep-mode-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-sleep-mode-on-battery
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-on-battery
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for network-manager-sleep
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-power-key
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-suspend-key
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-hibernate-key
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-lid-switch
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for heartbeat-command
TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:75] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=600 suspend=0 off=900
(xfce4-power-manager:2661): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy

(xfce4-power-manager:2661): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2523: signal 'Changed' is invalid for instance '0x56003f7581f0' of type 'GDBusProxy'
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:287] xfpm_polkit_init_data(): Using unix session polkit subject
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 2661>, 'start-time': <uint64 81185>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.power-off', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.power-off is authorized=TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 2661>, 'start-time': <uint64 81185>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.reboot', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.reboot is authorized=TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 2661>, 'start-time': <uint64 81185>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.suspend', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.suspend is authorized=TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 2661>, 'start-time': <uint64 81185>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate is authorized=TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:936] xfpm_power_get_power_devices(): Power device detected at : /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_ADP1
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:898] xfpm_power_add_device(): 'line-power' device added
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:936] xfpm_power_get_power_devices(): Power device detected at : /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:898] xfpm_power_add_device(): 'battery' device added
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:908] xfpm_power_add_device(): Battery device type 'battery' detected at: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 124 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_POWER_OFF)
(xfce4-power-manager:2661): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: could not map keysym 1008ffa8 to keycode

TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 213 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_HIBERNATE)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 150 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_SLEEP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 233 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_UP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 232 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 244 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_BATTERY)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 238 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_KBD_BRIGHTNESS_UP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 237 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_KBD_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:75] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=300 suspend=0 off=600

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:348] xfpm_dpms_set_on_battery(): dpms on battery TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1446] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Timeout: 10
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:213] xfpm_power_check_polkit_auth(): using logind suspend backend
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 2661>, 'start-time': <uint64 81185>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.suspend', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.suspend is authorized=TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 2661>, 'start-time': <uint64 81185>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate is authorized=TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:645] xfpm_manager_inhibit_sleep_systemd(): Inhibiting systemd sleep: handle-power-key:handle-suspend-key:handle-hibernate-key:handle-lid-switch

(xfce4-power-manager:2661): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion 'error != NULL' failed

** (xfce4-power-manager:2661): WARNING **: could not get output property
xfce4-power-manager-Message: Set kernel brightness switch to 0
TRACE[xfpm-backlight.c:256] xfpm_backlight_brightness_on_ac_settings_changed(): Alarm on ac timeout changed 9
TRACE[xfpm-backlight.c:277] xfpm_backlight_brightness_on_battery_settings_changed(): Alarm on battery timeout changed 120

** (xfce4-power-manager:2661): WARNING **: could not get output property

(xfce4-power-manager:2661): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: ../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:815: invalid property id 2 for "show-panel-label" of type 'GParamInt' in 'PowerManagerButton'
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:749] xfpm_manager_show_tray_icon(): Showing tray icon
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:539] power_manager_button_add_device(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/DisplayDevice
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:445] power_manager_button_update_device_icon_and_details(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/DisplayDevice
TRACE[xfpm-power-common.c:190] get_device_icon_name(): icon_suffix -symbolic, icon_base_length 12, upower_icon battery-good-symbolic
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:539] power_manager_button_add_device(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_ADP1
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:445] power_manager_button_update_device_icon_and_details(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_ADP1
TRACE[xfpm-power-common.c:190] get_device_icon_name(): icon_suffix -symbolic, icon_base_length 10, upower_icon ac-adapter-symbolic
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:539] power_manager_button_add_device(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
TRACE[../panel-plugins/power-manager-plugin/power-manager-button.c:445] power_manager_button_update_device_icon_and_details(): entering for /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
TRACE[xfpm-power-common.c:190] get_device_icon_name(): icon_suffix -symbolic, icon_base_length 12, upower_icon battery-good-symbolic
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:723] xfpm_manager_tray_update_icon(): updating icon
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:707] xfpm_manager_tray_update_tooltip(): updating tooltip
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:118] xfpm_button_filter_x_events(): Key press: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
TRACE[xfpm-backlight.c:185] xfpm_backlight_show(): Level 65849
^C^C^C^C^C^CTRACE[xfpm-manager.c:369] xfpm_manager_button_pressed_cb(): Received button press event: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:118] xfpm_button_filter_x_events(): Key press: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
TRACE[xfpm-backlight.c:185] xfpm_backlight_show(): Level 57618

#46 2018-04-29 22:02:32

ToZ
Administrator

What's interesting here is that you're not getting that "not authorized" message. So it seems partially to be the result of some sort of profile configuration.

As for it only working once, this might be a system issue. What backlight interfaces does your system expose?

ls /sys/class/backlight

In every folder there should be a brightness, max_brightness and actual_brightness file. Try manually changing the brigthness values to see if they have an effect for each interface. Echo a number between 0 and the contents of max_brightness to the brightness file and see if the value in actual_brightness changes and whether the actual system brightness changes. For example:

echo 1000 | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

Change the echo values. Change the brightness interfaces. Does one work consistently when you manipulate it manually?

#47 2018-04-29 22:05:09

netllama

I've got:

gmux_backlight
intel_backlight

I am able to adjust the backlight manually via gmux_backlight

#48 2018-04-29 22:39:18

ToZ
Administrator

Does this notebook have an nvidia graphics driver?

Here are a couple of links with info on how to get brightness working on the Macbook that are not related to Xfce:
- https://wiki.debian.org/MacBook#Backlig … ect_button
- https://askubuntu.com/questions/864134/ … k-air-13-3
- https://askubuntu.com/questions/812734/ … untu-16-04

I believe you need to fix the issue at the system level given that you have 2 backlight interfaces being exposed.

#49 2018-05-01 01:24:20

netllama

Yes, its using the nvidia X driver.  I looked at the links you provided:

* The Debian wiki references a pommed utility, which was last updated in 2011.  The backlight controls worked fine on this Macbook until I upgraded it from Fedora24 to 25, all of which were released years after pommed was last changed.  I don't think this stuff is relevant
* The first askubuntu page is only relevant to the 'intel' X driver (there is no 'Backlight' option for the 'nvidia' X driver)
* The second askubuntu page had a bunch of suggestions, but none of them helped

#50 2018-05-01 11:59:26

ToZ
Administrator

This is definitely a strange problem. The brightness sliders work but the keys keys don't. In your main account you get an "unauthorized" message but in a second account the message is not there. I'm not sure what else to suggest to fix the issue.

As a workaround, you could use a script such as this one (you'll need to change the birghtness and max_brightness variables to point to the gmux_backlight interface and set up sudo properly to run the command without a password prompt). Then assign the script to those shortcut keys.

Board footer