Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-22 04:15:45

MountainDewManiac

Xfce on a Raspberry Pi?

Is anyone running Xfce on a Raspberry Pi Model B? If so, what distro? If not, what do you run on it?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#2 2018-12-26 17:47:25

mint4all

Re: Xfce on a Raspberry Pi?

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Is anyone running Xfce on a Raspberry Pi Model B? If so, what distro? If not, what do you run on it?

Regards,
MDM

Greetings! Alas, i don't know anybody ... There's a site, makeuseof.com, that i peruse on accasion. Re. PI installs, I found that they provide a pretty good summary though, @ https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-operati … spbery-pi/ ... There's also a link to helping noobs with pi-installs, @ https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-noobs … ime-users/

My take: if it can run ubuntu-mate, getting xfce4 to install & run can't be all too hard. Some 5-6 years ago, i recall getting xubuntu (xfce4) 11.xx to run on an early-2000s Sony laptop that had only 256MB of ram and a Pentium-M chip. It was quite servicable iirc, so the PI's specs s/b plenty to get xubuntu 18.10 up and running (imho).

Good luck!
Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2018-12-26 20:46:12

MountainDewManiac

Thanks for your input. I wish Clem offered a version of Mint that ran on ARM architecture, but he doesn't. Therefore, I'll need to go with some other linux (or free variant of BSD, I suppose) distro. I had hoped to see several responses from people who were running Xfce on their Raspberry Pi devices. Maybe they are just not as popular as their low price allows them to be, IDK.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#4 2018-12-26 21:56:14

mint4all

Hmmm ...

this is an interesting project indeed. Here's a list of distros that support ARM-type cpus: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q … ng-systems ... The one i just looked at was Debian's image; alas, it isn't in SD-format, but Ubuntu Mate's image is. With you being so Mint-savvy, trying Debian's / Mate's spin might make sense -- same package management, repository structure, command-line & gui-tools ,,,

Heck, even starting with UbMate then layering xfce4 ontop might be worth trying (note: if've jumped from Mate to Xfce4 before with only minor problems).

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#5 2018-12-27 22:12:10

ToZ
Administrator

Got myself a raspberry pi model b+ for christmas. A gift from me to me smile Posting this from Xfce running on raspbian (based on debian stretch). Wasn't difficult to install the xfce4 packages and get it working. Quite a powerful little device.

Was looking to see if I can get it set up to be an airserver for iPhone casting, but it doesn't seem that the old methods work with with iOS 11. Will keep investigating.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2018-12-27 23:07:04

MountainDewManiac

Mine is a Model 3 B or maybe a Model B 3, something like that. A step down from yours, I'd imagine (it was used and I received it as a gift with no extra parts attached). I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff, but in the last week or so I have done a little bit of research and have figured out...

...that, like just about everything else in the universe, it just sits there doing nothing unless/until someone throws money at it. But it does look cool. If it were a little smaller, I'd probably round off all the sharp edges, drill a hole through a corner, and make an interesting keychain out of it.

I would be interested in reading about anything interesting (useful or not) that you end up doing with yours in the future, though.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

Board footer