Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-22 09:32:57

sh4tr

forum

why are there so few categories?

there could be goodies or applications for example, so topics are easier to sift through

#2 2019-01-22 11:13:41

sh4tr

Re: forum

or bugs/troubleshooting

Last edited by sh4tr (2019-01-22 11:14:23)

#3 2019-01-23 00:56:15

ToZ
Administrator

The categories have been the same for as long as I can remember.

Personally, I'm not a fan of too many categories. My experience has shown that posters are either unsure of or generally don't pick the correct category and invariably, the admins spend a lot of time moving threads around. And then there will always be a subset of posts that never fit the existing categories and so its a guessing game anyways.

If we can come up with and agree on a new set of categories, we ask the forum maintainer to make the change. But I think this in itself will be a challenge.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2023-03-07 03:32:09

xoingo21

I think that
More Focused Discussions: With fewer categories, discussions can be more focused, which makes it easier for users to find and participate in conversations that interest them. It can also reduce the chances of off-topic posts and spam.

#5 2023-03-08 01:34:44

Skaperen

the only category confusion i have seen here is "Desktop" vs "General discussion".  Xfce is a desktop thing (to me) even though it has many other elements deeper inside.  so the confusion to me is that these two topics/categories are essentially the same thing.

#6 2023-03-08 07:11:45

peter.48

Personally I don't think there are too few categories, the only one that I see a little confusing is "general discussion" where there are many posts that should be in "desktop" (here I agree with Skaperen), but the rest for me is clear and coherent. I think that adding something in the subtitle of "general discussion" to indicate to the posters that it is not for "technical" topics could facilitate the choice of the category (really "desktop" is the essence of this forum, all the rest are "satellites").

Creating categories like "bugs" and "applications" doesn't seem to me a good idea: if I have a problem with an application where do I look for? many times we don't know if it's a bug or our lack of knowledge or error installing, therefore we don't know what is the precise situation and we don't know where to put the post or where to look for a solution.

If we would have very "precise" categories, then it wouldn't be very clear either, for example "Orage" as main category with subcategories "bugs", "improvements" etc. you wouldn't know where exactly to post or search for some things, besides the list of categories and subcategories would be endless - problem of finding the right place would go from the forum itself to its list of categories, so it would be just displaced and not solved...

Last edited by peter.48 (2023-03-08 07:17:42)

Board footer