Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-07 15:40:19

KitchM

All About Password and Login

I have tried various Linux distros, and I have noticed that there is a variation on what happens when a person gets to the login screen during boot up.

In some, the user is prompted for the user name and password, but in others there is only a prompt for the user.  Of course there is also the option of auto login in as well (just to make things interesting).

Where are these choices set?  Are they scattered all around the OS, or is there one central location for them?  (And if there is only one, it must be pretty well hidden.)

#2 2019-04-08 02:22:01

KitchM

Re: All About Password and Login

I should have specified that I was hoping for one place in the settings manager, but things change so much.

#3 2019-04-08 03:00:46

ToZ
Administrator

Because Xfce is a user-space environment, it only starts up after the user has been authenticated. Your question is geared more towards how the distro or the display manager configures autologin - and methods vary here. There isn't necessarily any "one place" gui app that will do this for you.

Here are some links that may help answer your question:
- lightdm autologin
- gdm autologin
- lxdm autologin
- virtual console (getty) autologin

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2019-04-08 15:15:30

KitchM

ToZ wrote:

Because Xfce is a user-space environment, it only starts up after the user has been authenticated.

I did not know that.  That one simple bit of information changes everything.  Evidently, we are mislead too easily by the ques given in things like Session and Startup, where it gives the option to give a splash screen.  Also, other distro-related utilities can be added to the Settings Manager area without differentiation.  The user's assumption here can be misleading.  But your point makes a great deal of sense.

Thanks very much.

Board footer