Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-26 01:38:39

markling

How change mimetype display names in Thunar?

Reason I ask is, I installed FoxitReader. And Foxit changed the display name of pdfs in Thunar to "FoxitReader Document".

So I would like to change it to "PDF". While I'm at it, it would be quite useful to change some of the other file type display names as well, to make them shorter, to save on column-width-space. Like

I can't see an obvious way to do this. I've scratched around looking in .desktop and mime apps files but not struck on a solution.

It would also be most cool to specify a max default display width for Thunar columns as well, to stop the column edges disappearing off the screen whenever there's a long filename or link. But that may be a different question.

#2 2019-06-26 06:56:28

ozjd
Website

Re: How change mimetype display names in Thunar?

Your second question is simple. In Thunar got to View - Configure Columns and there is an options to automatically expand columns. Unselect that.

#3 2019-06-26 11:02:10

markling

(i) ... pending ...

(ii) hallelujah! muchos! muchos!

#4 2019-06-26 12:56:39

kunzlata

Foxit may have created some MIME type of its own like application/foxit-pdf-reader or foxit-reader-document or whatever.
Check in Session and Startup > MIME Type Editor

But regarding the icon name, maybe it's just a new icon foxit installed that now is associated with PDF's. If it's so, then find it (search for icons in the Foxit's package file list) and rename it. Or use thumbnails in Thunar.

Just some guesses.

Board footer