Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-04 03:49:36

imschmeg

blue text on black background dark theme blues

I'm running xfce 4.14.1 on debian buster (MX 19), and I can't read my to-do list in orage, because in any dark theme where orage has a dark background, the calendar window to-do list text is dark blue.

What's the necessary magic to change the color of that text without impacting the rest of the theme?

#2 2019-12-06 21:05:18

imschmeg

Re: blue text on black background dark theme blues

Some sleuthing on my own...

Orage in Xfce 14.1.4 is still apparently GTK2 themed.  I'm using Matcha-dark-sea theme.  I don't know what symbolic name the dark blue text has in GTK2, but I do know its color is #0000ff or something close.  A suitable regex would be something like '#[0-3].[0-3].[c-fC-F].'

I first looked in /usr/share/themes/Matcha-dark-sea/gtk-2.0/gtkrc with the above regex.  No colors there match.

I also looked in ../xfwm4/themerc.  No colors there match.

I even looked in ../gtk-3.0 for that regex - no matches.  Also looked at the "rgba" calls - nothing skewed blue (needed an extended [grep -E] regex for this: rgba\([1-9]?[0-9], *[1-9]?[0-9], *1[0-9][0-9])

I then looked in the *.rc files with the same regex - no matches.

However, there are shade/mix calls.  None of the shade calls could produce such a blue unless the input color was already sufficiently blue, and none are (unless I am misunderstanding shade).  For the mix calls, fortunately, there are very few, and most work with nearly balanced r vs. g vs. b colors (like base_color, which is #222b2e), and so can't produce anything skewed very blue.  One color in gtkrc that is skewed at all is #2eb398 for selected_bg_color .  But that's only mixed once, and with fg_color, which is #f0f0f0 - hence can't be skewed blue (unless I am misunderstanding mix).

Is there any place else I should look for such a color setting?

If not, then conclusion is that Orage, Xfce's own calendar app, has hard-coded blue some text (to-do listing, at least), making it incompatible with all dark themes.  Well, maybe it's OK with themes having a dark orange background.  But that would be hideous.

#3 2019-12-06 22:56:09

ToZ

Yes, I believe it is hard coded. See: https://git.xfce.org/archive/orage/tree … box.c#n847.

#4 2019-12-07 00:28:34

imschmeg

I guess I could change the definition of "blue", as seen by gtk_color_parse...

Anyone know how to do that?

#5 2019-12-07 01:08:51

imschmeg

If not, then one alternative is to clone orage and recode it.  Yeah - doable - but kind of the opposite of "theming".

#6 2019-12-07 01:57:53

ToZ

BTW, orage has been archived and is no longer being actively developed.

#7 2019-12-07 02:34:36

imschmeg

Yeah, I know about orage.  Too bad - it is ultra-light and does the right things, although the interface is lacking.  There are many either too-light (cli, or nearly so) or too-heavy alternatives.  I'm not asking for orage to be patched to fix this.

Also, it is a problem I've had with some other apps that do dark themes properly in most ways (background colors, most text), but keep some - usually blue - text around.  I was hoping that answers on orage would help me solve these others as well.

#8 Yesterday 23:29:46

ozjd
Website

I noticed this too and my solution was to use a dark grey theme rather than a very dark theme.Works better for a lot of apps. I'm currently using Shades of Grey https://github.com/WernerFP/Shades-of-gray-theme

Board footer