Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-19 07:24:24

pavloskiv

xfce4-popup-places plugins

Good evening,
I have a question about xfce4-popup-places plugin: Is it possible to add a launcher configured as xfce4-popup-places in whiskermenu without adding this plugin to panel ?  I tested and it only works if the plugin is added to panel.
I have asked in Ubuntu forum if is it possible to add to whiskermenu right pane an item to display Recent Opened Files/Documents, but the answer was: Not possible, so I tried to add the Places plugin in whiskermenu as a launcher but t only works if the plugin is added to Panel.
Thanks, vladi

#2 2019-12-19 11:51:26

ToZ

Re: xfce4-popup-places plugins

Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, the xfce4-places plugin needs to be running (added to the panel) for that command to work. There are 2 options available to you if you don't want the plugin visible on the panel:

1. Create a second panel, add the plugin to that panel and then set the panel to "Always Hide". The plugin won't be visible but the command will still work.
    --

2. Use the program zenity to create your own list of recently opened documents, create a desktop file for it and add it to the menu.. All of your recent documents are stored in the ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel file. For this option, do the following:
    a. With root privileges, create the file /usr/local/bin/zrecent with the following content:

#!/bin/bash

RECENTS=$(cat ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel | grep bookmark\ href | cut -d '"' -f2 | sed -e 's/file...//g')

ANS=$(zenity --width 500 \
    	--height 500 \
    	--list \
    	--text="" \
    	--title="Recent Files List" \
    	--column="Select a file..." \
    	$RECENTS)

if [ -f $ANS ] || [ -d $ANS ]
    then
    	exo-open $ANS
    else
    	zenity --info --width 200 --text="File/Directory no longer exists"
    fi

b. Make the file executable:

sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/zrecent

c. Create the ~/.local/share/applications/zrecent.desktop file with the following content:

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Recent Files
    Comment=Recently opened files
    GenericName=Recent files
    Exec=zrecent
    Icon=document-open-recent
    Terminal=false
    StartupNotify=true
    Type=Application
    Categories=Utility;GTK;

The item will now show up in the Accessories section.
    Double-click the file/directory that you want to open and the script will use "exo-open" to open it with the default program.
    Note: this requires the zenity package to be installed.

#3 2019-12-19 19:53:29

pavloskiv

@Toz thanks for quick and accurate reply. I'll try with zenity. That's a pity whiskermenu doesn't have it by default.

#4 2019-12-19 23:23:17

Skaperen

l like #1.  that can be a panel in general to run many things in the background that don't make sense for my own background system (everything runs under a shell).

#5 2020-08-04 14:07:44

Tabespe

Is there an alternative to 1. and 2. ?

As you can see here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1472376
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12050

~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel does not work reliable.

Just open a featherpad file within thunar, then change anything in it. Save it.
You will not find it in ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel now.

Just open a *.png within thunar. Close it. You will not find it in ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.

I had instaled this plug-in (variant 1). But it is unusable for me in this case.

So I am looking for an alternative.

Board footer