Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-17 21:53:14

tonyB

Hello World!

Noob Alert!

Hi Hows it going?  I just want to say that I am a really impressed with the xfce DE.  I'm a new Linux user since win7 died in Jan.  I'm not at all sad.  Xfce is super easy to use for the most part.  I have much to learn about linux in general however.  I have picked MX19 as my OS and as you know they have a polished version ready to go.  Its very nice.  I still check out other distros on a VM.  One thing I have got used to is the sxhkd.  It is very nice and I love the chaining functionality and portability. I would like to use in for all my xfwm4 functions but I just cannot seem to figure out how.  Also the wm shortcuts don't seem to have a save or export function for portability tho this is a less concern if I could figure out how to do the first.   You know like the send to desktop 3 for example or move to desktop 9.  Resize and tile left right up down all around!  I want to do my best to mimic a tiler as well with out replacing the wm.  Just the program that handles shortcuts.  Sorry if I am not very clear.  What commands would I tell sxhkd to send to desktop X or tile left right up down.  Minimize and full screen you know.  Or just point me in the right direction cause I am lost!  Thanks ahead of time for any answer!

#2 2020-04-18 02:24:05

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Hello World!

Hello and welcome.

tonyB wrote:

One thing I have got used to is the sxhkd.  It is very nice and I love the chaining functionality and portability. I would like to use in for all my xfwm4 functions but I just cannot seem to figure out how.

The xfwm4 shortcuts are built into the code so they aren't portable in the way that you are looking for. However, you can use tools like xdotool or wmctrl to achieve similar results and then bind those actions to sxhkd events. In addition, there have been scripts made to already do this that you can leverage. For example:
- x-tile
- xfce-tile
- winfuncs (from our own forums)

You know like the send to desktop 3 for example or move to desktop 9.

You can use:

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -t 1

to send to desktop 1 (note that desktops start at 0).

Minimize and full screen you know.

Maximize window:

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert,maximized_horz

Restore window:

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b remove,maximized_vert,maximized_horz

"wmctrl" and "xdotool" are really neat x automation tools.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-04-18 04:06:19

tonyB

Re: Hello World!

Ahh, well that would explain why I could not find anything about it.  Its impossible like I had visioned.  It just gets annoying to reprogram the xfwm when I try different flavors out in a VM or if I ever do a reinstall,  upgrade. But I guess its not the worst thing ever.  Plus my hands mainly know what they want anyway.  I will definitely check out your suggestions this weekend though.  I thank you.

Board footer