Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-23 22:33:27

eriefisher

docs.xfce.org error

I found an error in some documentation. How can anyone submit a change, edit or correction?
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/custom-actions

Move files into a new folder
Name: Move into new folder
Description: Select any number of file/folders. A dialog will popup in which you can write the name of a new folder to create. Selected Files will be moved there.
Command: NEW_FOLDER=$(/usr/bin/zenity –entry –title “Move into new folder” –text “Please enter a name for the new folder”); mkdir $NEW_FOLDER; mv %F $NEW_FOLDER
File pattern: *
Appears if selection contains: All
Note: You'll will need the zenity package.

The syntax for zenity is wrong and the action will not work as is. For correction:

Move files into a new folder
Name: Move into new folder
Description: Select any number of file/folders. A dialog will popup in which you can write the name of a new folder to create. Selected Files will be moved there.
Command: NEW_FOLDER=$(/usr/bin/zenity --entry --title 'Move into new folder' --text 'Please enter a name for the new folder'); mkdir $NEW_FOLDER; mv %F $NEW_FOLDER
File pattern: *
Appears if selection contains: All
Note: You'll will need the zenity package.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#2 2020-04-23 22:46:14

ToZ
Administrator

Re: docs.xfce.org error

The documented zenity command works for me. Are you getting an error or something?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-04-23 23:01:25

eriefisher

The Zenity window does not render correctly as posted. The zenity options require "--" instead of  "-" and the title and text require ' not "(single quote not double).

The original version rendered for you ToZ? BTW I found where and how to create a bugzilla acc. If it's rendering for you though I won't bother.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#4 2020-04-24 01:20:20

ToZ
Administrator

No, I didn't create this entry. But looking at it now, its really interesting:

• the actual code entry does have double dashes, but the wiki output strips one of the dashes out

• you can put it in a code block, but then the code block runs on and disappears to the right of the page

• the command actually works with both the double or single quotes

I have access to edit the entry, but I'm not sure how to edit it. If I put it in code blocks, it disappears to the right of the frame. If I put a new line in the code block, a copy/paste will actually copy the newline character and the command will no longer work. If I leave it the way it is, only one dash shows.

Edit: Got it. I'm using the nowiki block - it preserves formatting. I've also replaced the double with single quotes. Thanks for bringing this forward.

Edit2: BTW, feel free to request a wiki account - we could use more documenters on the project.

Last edited by ToZ (2020-04-24 01:20:58)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2020-04-24 11:47:51

eriefisher

ToZ wrote:

Edit: Got it. I'm using the nowiki block - it preserves formatting. I've also replaced the double with single quotes. Thanks for bringing this forward.

Thank you ToZ. Amazing, you must be sitting around waiting for something to do.

ToZ wrote:

Edit2: BTW, feel free to request a wiki account - we could use more documenters on the project.

I think I can do that. I would love to help out.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

Board footer