Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-06 15:55:26

Nep_

[SOLVED] xfce-panel with dual monitor and focus loss

Hey o/

So, my problem is that I use double monitors on my arch setup, with xfce, and when I fullscreen a YT video for example on my main monitor and start to work on something on the other monitor, the panel gets visible instantly after the main screen lost focus, I was searching a lot about this, found 2 solutions so far, one was installing an AUR package which should have fixed the issue but it fails to build, so I guess its out of date or something, other is using the "wmctrl -r "xfce4-panel" -b add,below" command on startup, the problem with this that its only working partly since if I use this command it only fixes the panel on my main monitor, so whenever I fullscreen something on my secondary monitor and start to work with something on the main, the panel shows up on the second, so the command only works on my main monitor, I also tried to change the xfwm to openbox, mostly for learning purposes but also in hopes it fixes this, it didnt...

So my question would be, is this like a common problem wich doesnt seem to be solved, or am just missing out on something?

Some informations about the system:

kernel:5.6.10-arch1-1
DE: xfce( 4.14 )
WM: XFWM4( 4.15.0-git )

EDIT: In case, the panel xfce4-panel version is 4.14.4, and also tried to set the panel to hide intelligently but that doesnt work either
As I was searching for answers I seen this happening in the past, so I guess its a common problem with the panel itself and not the WM

Last edited by Nep_ (2020-05-07 20:23:45)

#2 2020-05-06 20:55:37

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] xfce-panel with dual monitor and focus loss

Hello and welcome.

I've seen this issue come up in the bug tracker. Here is one such report. And this one might be more relevant. From that bug report and from the developer:

Sending fullscreen windows back to regular layer when they lose focus is on purpose and as designed.

Reading through that bug report:

...what if the user moves a window from another monitor onto the one where the fullscreen window resides?

[With that patch], the fullscreen window on the other monitor is kept on top, so the window being moved will not be visible, let alone accessible for the user to move it back...

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-05-07 18:00:00

Nep_

Re: [SOLVED] xfce-panel with dual monitor and focus loss

So, basically that is not a bug, but an intended feature, thanks for the answer.
Do not see the use for that, but it is okey, I can live with one panel, love xfce too much to switch away big_smile
Thanks again!

Board footer