Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-23 10:35:32

tigerbeard

Screenshooter App - new options

I remember my great joy when I discovered the screenshooter app. Its one of the small marvels that i really love and use almost every day.

I have not found any place with a feature (wish) list, because from a few years experience I would like to promote a discussion wether this new option might be considered useful.

"Save as jpeg"
Reasoning: most of the time the screenshots are for illustration and documentation, not so much for artistic purposes. Thus the quality loss by compression is not a disadvantage. Over time I got used to the procedure to open my screenshots, especially large ones with xnView and manually convert them from PNG to JPEG. With a full HD screenshot this significantly reduces the file size. As I am an admin of a wiki, I am aware how much (unnecessarily) large screenshots posted in forums or descriptions blow up the database files and make backup a pain. So personally, I take the time and make sure every image I am posting is as large as it needs to be. With a setting in the "~/config/xfce4/xfce4-screenshooter" I would set my default saving format to JPEG, if that was there.
I guess if such an option would be available, it would be a small help for open source financed web services to use that as default, as the saving would add up. Its a bit of caring about the digital environment ;-)

If there is a place to put a suggestion like this, I would like to include it there.
But maybe the discussion is old and the problem is jpeg lirbary licensing trouble?

Thanks

#2 2020-07-23 13:39:30

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Screenshooter App - new options

Enhancement request (with proposed patch) already exists. See: https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-scre … -/issues/6.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-07-23 14:02:15

eriefisher

I wrote a zenity script several years ago for AntiX. It was pretty simple and uses scrot. It would allow you to select full screen, active window or manually select a region, set a delay and choose which format to save in. If I still have it I will post it otherwise it was pretty simple to write.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#4 2020-07-23 14:52:49

tigerbeard

ToZ wrote:

Enhancement request (with proposed patch) already exists. See: https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-scre … -/issues/6.

Perferct, I read through it and it sounds just perfect.
But is its not arealdy included, is it? Why not, I did not read any disagreement?

Does it help if I sign up there and post a "+1"?

@eriefisher, that might be interesting for many people, thank for the offer. Hoever, the initial goal was to get this functionality into the repository version so it will be available out of the box in future releases.
I guess that only a small number of users would find this post and then be experienced enough to replace the default app with a homebew script that can be used from the GUI.

#5 2020-07-23 15:56:41

ToZ
Administrator

Feel free to post in the bug report to prompt. I wonder if there isn't currently an active maintainer for the product, and that's why there is a delay.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2020-07-23 17:43:02

tigerbeard

ToZ wrote:

Feel free to post in the bug report to prompt. I wonder if there isn't currently an active maintainer for the product, and that's why there is a delay.

Done. Thanks for pointing this out.

Board footer