Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-12 22:37:15

kjwill

Disable mouse scroll wheel changing values for sliders and comboboxes

If I hold my mouse cursor over a slider or combobox (i.e. drop-down menu/select menu) and move my mouse scroll wheel, the value of the slider/combobox is changed. I really dislike this behavior. I've accidentally changed values countless times while scrolling in a window, and I'm sure one day I won't notice that I accidentally made a change.

Is there a way to disable this behavior? I can't find anything in the settings manager. If xfwm doesn't support changing this behavior, is there something I can do via GTK?

#2 2020-08-13 08:29:07

jesus2099

Re: Disable mouse scroll wheel changing values for sliders and comboboxes

I changed values because of this too, without knowing what was the previous value.
Many panels don't have a validate button, so values are saved right away.

#3 2020-08-13 10:57:33

ToZ
Administrator

I don't believe there is an override setting in GTK for this behaviour. It would need to be programmed into the application itself.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2020-08-13 16:44:17

kjwill

ToZ wrote:

I don't believe there is an override setting in GTK for this behaviour. It would need to be programmed into the application itself.

Are you saying that the scroll-to-change-value behavior is programmed into the application? I don't think that's the case because it seems to be prevalent across all GTK programs. I don't just see it in XFCE programs, but also Transmission, GVIM, Galculator, etc.

As jesus2099 said, this behavior is pretty dangerous when combined with the fact that a lot of panels, especially the XFCE Settings Manager, do not have a way to see or revert back to the original value.

#5 2020-08-13 20:17:21

ToZ
Administrator

kjwill wrote:

Are you saying that the scroll-to-change-value behavior is programmed into the application? I don't think that's the case because it seems to be prevalent across all GTK programs. I don't just see it in XFCE programs, but also Transmission, GVIM, Galculator, etc.

I believe its the default in GTK but can be turned off programmatically.

As jesus2099 said, this behavior is pretty dangerous when combined with the fact that a lot of panels, especially the XFCE Settings Manager, do not have a way to see or revert back to the original value.

I agree.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2020-08-14 18:45:24

kjwill

If anyone is interested, GTK is tracking this issue: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/593

It's tagged to be fixed in GTK4, but the ticket doesn't seem to have a whole lot of buzz, which is disappointing considering how dangerous this behavior is. Looks like I may have found my first open source contribution...

#7 2020-08-14 19:12:23

alcornoqui

That would be great, I agree it could be improved, go kjwill!

Board footer