Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-10 20:37:14

agashamu

Whiskermenu Theme Overrides

Hi, a strange thing happened to me: I tried to change some colors in Whisker, put the code into .css and nothing happened. Then I put the same code into Greybird's gtk.css, it worked!! How can Greybird overwrite Whisker and gtk.css???

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#2 2022-01-10 23:37:41

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Whiskermenu Theme Overrides

Which css file did you put the whisker colour codes into? Can you post the full content of this file?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-01-11 00:06:42

agashamu

I put it into:
/home/.themes/Greybird-custom/gtk-3.0/gtk.css/
It's a kind of a modified version of the Greybird gtk.css
I would love to post the file but it's over 2000 lines! I don't really know how to do it!
Here is the end of it:

.menu IdoPlaybackMenuItem.menuitem:active { -gtk-icon-source: -gtk-icontheme("process-working-symbolic"); animation: playbackmenuitem_spinner 1s infinite linear; color: #3c3c3c; }

window.background.chromium { background-color: #cecece; }

window.background.chromium button:not(.titlebutton) { border-color: #828282; }

/************************
  * Whisker Menu -xfce4 *
***********************/
#whiskermenu-window {
   background-color: #ffbba4;
   color: #ffffff;

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#4 2022-01-11 00:19:54

ToZ
Administrator

Put this:

agashamu wrote:

/************************
  * Whisker Menu -xfce4 *
***********************/
#whiskermenu-window {
   color: #ffffff; }

...into ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css - create the file if it doesn't exist. This will override the theme configurations for the whisker menu. You can also put any other Greybird overrides in that file.

Note: I've split your question from the other thread and created a thread of its own.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2022-01-11 00:33:33

agashamu

Hi ToZ, that is what I did first but it didn't work, tried to restart panel, logout, reboot, nothing worked. I have some other codes in this file, they keep working. Then I put it in Greybird.css file and it worked right away. It should've worked in gtk-3.00 css file, that's what I don't understand.

Last edited by agashamu (2022-01-11 00:40:47)

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#6 2022-01-11 00:59:07

ToZ
Administrator

Can you post the full content of your ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file?

#7 2022-01-11 04:13:51

KBar

Also, try commenting out the whole file, then put that in before or after commented out part.

It sounds like there are overriding rules in your custom gtk.css file. Without looking at the full contents, we would be guessing at best.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#8 2022-01-11 06:23:45

agashamu

#indicator-button* { -gtk-icon-transform: scale(1.2);

That's all I have in it. I created the gtk.css file after reading one of ToZ's topics, then copied the code in it. It did work, still does.
I did have whisker color code in it, but since it never worked, I wiped it out.
After doing some googling, I found an article where a guy said, if you have a "custom" theme set as default, gtk-css may not work.??? Can that be the problem?? I guess I should play with it and try to get the orig greybird theme back, and see what happens. Linux might be much smarter
and sensitive  then I have ever thought... on the other hand, I also put the same code in my Mint Xfce with the same set up and it worked without any problem. (all this happened in Linux Lite)

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#9 2022-01-11 12:20:46

ToZ
Administrator

agashamu wrote:

#indicator-button* { -gtk-icon-transform: scale(1.2);

You are missing the close bracket. Try using just this content in the gtk.css file

#indicator-button* { -gtk-icon-transform: scale(1.2); }

#whiskermenu-window {
   color: #ffffff; }

...and see if it works.

#10 2022-01-11 22:56:00

agashamu

Hi ToZ, yes, it did work! Thank you very much!
But I still don't get it. How is it possible it worked in Greybird's css file and in my Mint setup in gtk's css file without the close bracket???

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#11 2022-01-12 03:12:47

KBar

Probably because: a) it had the closing bracket; b) the second rule came before the first rule.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#12 2022-01-12 18:28:58

agashamu

Thanks KBar for your reply!

"a) it had the closing bracket;"

No, if you look at my post #3 above, it did not. I know nothing about scripts and codes and rules, still trying to learn.
Those closing brackets are sometimes at the end of the line, sometimes in a new line below the code, any reason for that???
I followed your posts playing with the logout window, it's wonderful what one can do with Linux-Xfce!!!

Last edited by agashamu (2022-01-12 18:29:56)

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#13 2022-01-12 19:00:56

KBar

It's just different coding style. I prefer the Mozilla style and follow their guidelines, which can be found here. GTK also recommends following the same style.
There are pros and cons to each of these styles. In reality, as long as the code is private and you understand it yourself, go with whatever is comfortable for you. Though consistency and readability are important factors to consider.

Last edited by KBar (2022-01-12 20:06:38)

#14 2022-01-12 20:00:12

agashamu

Thank you!
Have a nice day!

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

Board footer