Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-25 14:29:04

cat_thrower

xfce filepicker with thumbnail support? (like KDE's)

I was wondering what do you guys think about developing xfce specific file picking dialog like the one KDE has. The default gtk one is very barebones and famously doesn't have icon view like every file manager does making selecting images somewhat difficult as well as having a very non-uniform look and feel compared to other xfce4 programs.
The original request to add icon view and thumbnails to gtk file picker is over 18 years old! https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/233
Custom filepickers through xdg portals work well with most GTK programs including both chromium and firefox and QT programs, you can even use KDE's filepicker on xfce but it involves a bit of tinkering and installing a lot of KDE libraries.
Someone on the gnome team is working on something similar based on nautilus (can't find the blog post though), so I was wondering if maybe someone would be interested in making an xfce filepicker based on thunar? It doesn't seem that difficult and there is a lot of people who would love to see this feature.

#2 2022-08-25 19:12:42

Skaperen

Re: xfce filepicker with thumbnail support? (like KDE's)

what i think:  it won't be me coding it.

#3 2022-08-25 19:38:14

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfce filepicker with thumbnail support? (like KDE's)

Xfce uses GtkFileChooser from GTK directly to render this dialog. Although writing a new file picker dialog is possible, you would also need to convince the Xfce developers to use the new file picker as opposed to the easier built-in GTK file picker (as opposed to maintaining an additional set of code). I would start with an enhancement request here to see what developer interest exists.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer