Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-05 06:10:35

vinnie

Gratefulness to XFCE dev

Hi, I joined just to take the opportunity to say thanks for the development of xfce.

There are many DMs for linux, though, the only desktop manager that embodies the essence of familiarity is xfce.
If I have to use one word to describe xfce it is "rational", everything is precisely where it is expected to be.

I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get backlight to work and ended up on this forum page.
Unfortunately, it's not an xfce problem, because the applet changes the value of `/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness` .
However, while looking through the forum I found this other topic, found another time by accident, setting the vblank to off actually removed the compositor artifacts.
And then I said to myself I wanted to sign up to say thank you, partly because all these years I was using xfce without knowing anything about the people who developed it.

But yes come on, I'll take the opportunity and tell a little bit of the story of how I came to know xfce.
When I started my first distro was knoppix, linux was great... but the interface... ehm... neutral
As soon as I could I tried debian on qemu (at the time I don't think virtualbox existed) and tried gnome 2.x.
Yeah definitely neater than kde 3.x, and then I was looking for something different from windows explorer (one key thing for me was to get rid of the icons on the desktop, they drove me crazy, xfce has always supported the ability to disable them altogether!).
But one thing I didn't like about both gnome and kde, using their software you almost always had to download all their enviorment, and I like light stuff.
So I tried xfce and it managed to be as sober as gnome but lighter.
I also tried other DMs (e17 for example was not bad) but if I wanted something solid and reliable, xfce was always a safety and I still use it now.

Ah, about the compositor, I remember many years ago using compiz on gnome and using only two effects, zoom and negative windows.
The zoom I used to configure it exactly as it's configured in xfce by default, when I discovered it I realized I didn't even need compiz XD.
However I am still waiting for the windows negative!... come on Kde4 has it but I just can't get it, it's too cumbersome!

Last edited by vinnie (2022-10-05 06:24:31)

#2 2022-10-05 10:26:12

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Gratefulness to XFCE dev

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-10-06 22:49:52

vinnie

anyway today I experienced another cool feature of xfce, custom monitor scaling>
Thanks for the welcome

#4 2022-10-10 05:23:34

BenyaminL
Website

I just want to bump it, I also just come back from Windows to Linux, and I can't move to other DE, XFCE always become my only option for life (but always fedora/rhel derivative), and I still love the old nonCSD by using https://github.com/Xfce-Classic/libxfce4ui-nocsd

Kept up with anything, long live XFCE!

Board footer