Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-22 20:03:08

Skaperen

run a script before xfce starts

i'd like to run a script before xfce starts.  i think this was talked about long ago and i would have to substitute the script for xfce then have the script run xfce.  that's ok for what i want to do.  my script will look for any files to be changed in the user home directory and if any, load those changes.  the changes could include xfce config files so loading them before xfce starts would get them into effect.

#2 2022-12-07 10:10:30

jth
Website

Re: run a script before xfce starts

hi,

this depends on how you starting X. If you using graphic login manager I'm not sure, whether this is trivial, but you can give it a try as well. Be aware to have a way to non graphic login for repairing, if this fails!
If X is startet by .profile, say you're logging in without graphic, you can edit the $HOME/.profile and put in your commands here.
With graphic login you can try  to change the /usr/bin/startxfce4 script, just put in a line as first line calling your custom script. I cannot test this, so be warned and look for an alternative login way if X fails before testing! And be aware, this will be changed by every xfce4 update that changes the script.

hth

regards

joerg

#3 2022-12-08 20:54:50

Skaperen

Re: run a script before xfce starts

i do have a way to login on text console.  but i must be extremely careful since i am unable to read the text console because the font is so small.

i am running lightdm under Xubuntu 20.04 (soon to be 22.04).  i suspect i need to find how lightdm starts X and insert a wedge scrip there.  that would mean moving X to another name and placing my script there.  it would try to run another script (where my new logic is, to keep the wedge simple and tiny).

Board footer