Xfce Forum

Sub domains
 

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-09 22:30:33

davecs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-21
Posts: 23

Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

Panel Clock — I would ask if it's possible to give one of the XFCE panel clocks an option to run a user-defined program, instead of merely showing a basic calendar? (I am currently doing this via a GenMon and a script).

Orage — Would it be possible that, if orage is not running, that it should be run in "not hidden" mode on the command "orage -t"? (I am using a short script to achieve this at present)

Orage — On Day View, would it be possible to make all-day events appear in a column? When I have several during the course of a week, it makes the window impossibly wide.

Thanks for your consideration.

Offline

#2 2022-04-09 23:41:28

ToZ
Administrator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 10,884

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

The best place to place these feature requests is at https://gitlab.xfce.org/explore/groups?sort=name_desc. This way, the developers will see them.


Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Offline

#3 2022-04-10 09:36:00

Tamaranch
Member
Registered: 2020-12-31
Posts: 257

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

A similar request already exists for Clock: https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/-/issues/449.
No need to create a new one I think.
For the rest, feel free to submit requests at https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/orage/-/issues.

Offline

#4 2022-04-10 16:06:46

davecs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-21
Posts: 23

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

Tamaranch wrote:

A similar request already exists for Clock: https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/-/issues/449.
No need to create a new one I think.
For the rest, feel free to submit requests at https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/orage/-/issues.

The "similar request" for Clock is a rather complicated one. I meant something simple like the LXDE panel clock:

Screenshot-from-2022-04-08-20-35-18.png

(orage-flip is a simple script which starts Orage if it's not running, or does "orage -t" if it is.)

Then it could be used for Orage or anything else! If the program is left blank, you get a simple Calendar as now. That's what I had in mind.

Offline

#5 2022-04-10 16:24:35

Tamaranch
Member
Registered: 2020-12-31
Posts: 257

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

Yes indeed, this could be the subject of a separate feature request.
Please link this thread in the new request if you open one.

Offline

#6 2022-04-10 16:31:14

davecs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-21
Posts: 23

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

I've opened two of these, the Panel Clock and the Day View improvement. The other issue can be worked around by running Orage on startup (running hidden).

Offline

#7 2022-04-10 19:11:34

ToZ
Administrator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 10,884

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

davecs wrote:
Tamaranch wrote:

A similar request already exists for Clock: https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/-/issues/449.
No need to create a new one I think.
For the rest, feel free to submit requests at https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/orage/-/issues.

The "similar request" for Clock is a rather complicated one. I meant something simple like the LXDE panel clock:

https://i.ibb.co/wcLZC5D/Screenshot-fro … -35-18.png

(orage-flip is a simple script which starts Orage if it's not running, or does "orage -t" if it is.)

Then it could be used for Orage or anything else! If the program is left blank, you get a simple Calendar as now. That's what I had in mind.

In reviewing the code, it looks like the clock plugin has a hidden "command" property. What it does is it executes a preset command on double-click (it also hides the calendar popup). You can create this property via:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep clock | awk '{print $1}')/command -t string -s "mousepad" -n

...change "mousepad" to whatever command you want to execute.

Edit: you can also create the property using xfce4-settings-editor.

Edit2: I've updated the clock online documentation page with this information.

Last edited by ToZ (2022-04-10 19:50:54)


Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Offline

#8 2022-04-10 22:04:47

davecs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-21
Posts: 23

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

ToZ wrote:
davecs wrote:
Tamaranch wrote:

A similar request already exists for Clock: https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/-/issues/449.
No need to create a new one I think.
For the rest, feel free to submit requests at https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/orage/-/issues.

The "similar request" for Clock is a rather complicated one. I meant something simple like the LXDE panel clock:

https://i.ibb.co/wcLZC5D/Screenshot-fro … -35-18.png

(orage-flip is a simple script which starts Orage if it's not running, or does "orage -t" if it is.)

Then it could be used for Orage or anything else! If the program is left blank, you get a simple Calendar as now. That's what I had in mind.

In reviewing the code, it looks like the clock plugin has a hidden "command" property. What it does is it executes a preset command on double-click (it also hides the calendar popup). You can create this property via:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep clock | awk '{print $1}')/command -t string -s "mousepad" -n

...change "mousepad" to whatever command you want to execute.

Edit: you can also create the property using xfce4-settings-editor.

Edit2: I've updated the clock online documentation page with this information.

Works, but it would be much better to include it in a dialog box, and I find the layout settings in DateTime have the potential to look more attractive in layout. I really can't get Clock to look nice. And why the double click? I certainly think that the layout potential of DateTime is a better starting point, and it would be much better if it was an easy to use feature.

Offline

#9 2022-04-10 22:17:30

davecs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-21
Posts: 23

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

I've actually used a GenMon on my own desktop but I'm thinking of making it easier for other people.

I have a command in /usr/local/bin called orage-flip:

#!/bin/bash
pidof orage >/dev/null && orage -t || orage

Another command to lay out a calendar in Generic Monitor, in /usr/local/bin called orage-cal
The second echo would have to be changed for some locales including USA

#!/bin/bash
echo "<txt><b>`date +%X`</b>"
echo "<span size='x-small'>`date +%d/%m/%Y`</span></txt><txtclick>orage-flip</txtclick>"
echo "<tool>Day: `date +%A`"
echo "Week №: `date +%U`"
echo "Day of Year: `date +%j`</tool>"

And the genmon properties are:

Command: orage-cal
Label: unchecked, leave blank
Period(s): 1 second.
and I use font Bitstream Vera 12

Offline

#10 2022-04-11 14:00:38

Tamaranch
Member
Registered: 2020-12-31
Posts: 257

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

davecs wrote:

Works, but it would be much better to include it in a dialog box, and I find the layout settings in DateTime have the potential to look more attractive in layout. I really can't get Clock to look nice. And why the double click? I certainly think that the layout potential of DateTime is a better starting point, and it would be much better if it was an easy to use feature.

A project to merge Clock and DateTime has been proposed for GSoC: https://wiki.xfce.org/projects/gsoc/start#xfce4-panel.
So it could happen soon.

Offline

#11 2022-12-20 12:56:30

davecs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-21
Posts: 23

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

Now that XFCE4.18 has been released, I am very pleased with the addition of a Command box to the Clock settings. I still think that a small change can be made to Orage so that "orage -t" will start Orage in visible mode if it's not running already.

Last edited by davecs (2022-12-20 13:40:33)

Offline

#12 2022-12-20 17:08:15

Tamaranch
Member
Registered: 2020-12-31
Posts: 257

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

davecs wrote:

I still think that a small change can be made to Orage so that "orage -t" will start Orage in visible mode if it's not running already.

It will be the case in next release (it already works on git-master).

Offline

#13 2022-12-20 17:08:43

ToZ
Administrator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 10,884

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

davecs wrote:

I still think that a small change can be made to Orage so that "orage -t" will start Orage in visible mode if it's not running already.

You can use this command:

bash -c "pgrep orage && orage -t || orage &"

...to mimic that functionality.


Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Offline

#14 2022-12-20 22:07:01

davecs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-21
Posts: 23

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

ToZ wrote:
davecs wrote:

I still think that a small change can be made to Orage so that "orage -t" will start Orage in visible mode if it's not running already.

You can use this command:

bash -c "pgrep orage && orage -t || orage &"

...to mimic that functionality.

See my post 10 April 2022 above — I already have a workaround. But I'm pleased it will be fixed in the next version, as per Tamaranch's reply.

Offline

#15 2023-02-14 13:01:48

davecs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-21
Posts: 23

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

Thank you to the XFCE developers for the improvements in Orage 4.18 and XFCE 4.18. The functionality in the "Clock" panel applet now allows for much-improved layout, and the insertion of a chosen command when clicked. Orage itself now allows for the command to simply be "orage -t" in Clock's command box, with no complications as to whether it's already running or not. And Orage's "week view" can be fully contained on one screen, when there are multiple "all-day" events as each appears on a seperate line.

All-in-all, very impressive!

Offline

#16 2023-02-14 15:25:34

Tamaranch
Member
Registered: 2020-12-31
Posts: 257

Re: Feature request — Orage and Panel Clock

cool

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB