Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2023-04-09 11:24:50

ToZ
Administrator

Re: New Script: Tile, Cascade, Expose' Windows, etc

@op had suggested using xbindkeys to define the keyboard shortcuts for the app and mod4 is the Windows key. You can also just go to Settings Manager > Keyboard > Application Shortcuts and create a shortcut for each one of the functions:

• /path/to/script tile

• /path/to/script select

• /path/to/script tiletwo

• /path/to/script cascade

• /path/to/script showdesktop

Note: change "/path/to/script to put the path and name of script (if not in your $PATH) and make sure the script is executable.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#27 2023-04-11 22:29:50

zub

Thanks Toz! That is the thread I needed the pull it together. Now I can see what I'm looking for in there. The functions are actually listed at the top of the file but I didn't recognize them.

And once I tried assigning `tile` to a keyboard shortcut, I learn what the very first section is about:

#todo:
# cancel for tile function

it took over all my windows and won't stop. Restarting xfwm doesn't fix and I can't see any process that is obvious in charge of this.. I hope rebooting my computer puts things back to normal or I guess I will have to try KDE lol

This script is a little too aggressive for me... At least that part of it. Maybe I will look at the other parts

#28 2023-04-11 22:39:33

ToZ
Administrator

it took over all my windows and won't stop. Restarting xfwm doesn't fix and I can't see any process that is obvious in charge of this.

Make sure the script isn't still running. If it is, kill the process. If it is in your startup, uncheck it. Delete or rename the script file if its still starting nevertheless after a reboot (it might be cached).

There are other such tiling scripts available. For example:

Both of these tools have an undo or restore option that might be what you are looking for.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#29 2023-04-12 04:14:38

zub

thanks! this script managed to persist through a reboot. renaming and

xfwm4 --replace & 

fixed it.

I used the xfce keyboard mapping to assign it to alt + f4 to try it out but once I renamed the script I immediately started getting errors and it turns out the script was mapped only to alt alone. I assume that was an error on my part when making the assignment. since in particular I use alt for moving/switching/resizing windows with kb and mouse, it might account for how weird everything became.

Maybe I will try a less insane key assignment another time. But in the meanwhile, don't wish to malign OP's work due to user error.

Board footer