Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-29 01:31:51

Pheeble

[SOLVED] Imported custom keyboard shortcuts XML file ignored

I just did a clean install Linux Mint 21.2 XFCE on a different partition. Mint 21.2 XFCE uses XFCE 4.18.

I copied my custom keyboard shortcuts from my previous installation (Linux Mint 21.1 XFCE, which I believe uses XFCE 4.16), replacing the file at ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml.

I logged out and back in again, but the GUI Keyboard Application Shortcuts still shows the default keyboard shortcuts, and the shortcuts specified in the xml file do not work.

I have a lot of custom shortcuts so I hope I don't have to manually enter all of them again.

How can I import the previous keyboard shortcuts into the new installation?

Update:

Ok, I worked this out. It seems logging out and back in is not sufficient to get XFCE to use the new XML file. I tried rebooting my computer, and when I logged in again the imported keyboard shortcuts were working.

I was under the impression that logging out was enough, and I've seen that repeatedly mentioned to get changed configuration files to be used. Is rebooting now a requirement for XFCE config changes, or have I stumbled on a potential bug?

Last edited by Pheeble (2023-08-02 01:57:02)

#2 2023-07-29 02:15:52

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Imported custom keyboard shortcuts XML file ignored

Ideally, you should replace Xfce xml files while not logged into Xfce. So basically from a virtual terminal. The other issue is that on some distros, the xfconfd process persists after logout and it will interfere.

So the sure-fire way to do this is:
- reboot
- before logging in to Xfce, go to a virtual terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F3)

It might also work from within Xfce by first killing the xfconfd process, copying the files, then restarting the xfconfd process - but you would need to test this to make sure it works.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-08-01 23:11:51

Pheeble

Re: [SOLVED] Imported custom keyboard shortcuts XML file ignored

ToZ wrote:

Ideally, you should replace Xfce xml files while not logged into Xfce. So basically from a virtual terminal. The other issue is that on some distros, the xfconfd process persists after logout and it will interfere.

Thanks, ToZ. I assumed (incorrectly, obviously) that xfconfd would stop on logout.

Board footer