Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-06 23:07:32

BrownShoedSquare

greetins

I thought I first used XFCE in 1995, but now I find that the project only started in 1997.  I guess we were using something with a similarly sparing use of hardware resources.

#2 2023-08-06 23:40:10

ToZ
Administrator

Re: greetins

Hello and welcome.

I used CDE on a SPARCstation back in the early 90s. Xfce was initially built as a CDE clone, so maybe it was something similar?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-08-07 00:32:06

BrownShoedSquare

Re: greetins

Thanks for the welcome.

One thing I did at my little company was to admin our little network of about 8 boxes, most of which were running Red Hat Linux 1 on Pentiums and one 486.  We bought the CD for $50 when it first came out.  I don't remember using CDE.  Long time ago.  Probably I am just thinking of XFWM.  Was XFWM already a thing then?

If you needed RH support you called the non-toll-free number.  You didn't have to give some registration number or prove that you'd bought it.  A guy would just pick up and say "Red Hat".  I told him the problem I was having setting up our NFS server, and he told me how to fix it.  On and off the phone in about a minute.

Board footer