Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-31 02:06:37

MichaelOToole

Theme Developmen Tools Questions

Looking for recommendations for theme development icons/themes.

Currently using gimp but not proficient with it yet, so I also rely on Fireworks under Wine for editing png images (yes, I'm old school). I start with an existing theme (one close in scale), make a copy, then edit with Gimp and export to produce my .xmp files and that's it, simple but unstructured...

I was wondering if there were other packages specifically suited to theme development, perhaps even project based?

Any suggestions welcome.

Mike

#2 2023-08-31 16:56:34

gogogadget

Re: Theme Developmen Tools Questions

Usually, I take a theme that is close to what I want.

Since it's always been themes with .xpm files, I learned about the XPM format and noticed it was easy to modify in a text editor or change a color with the sed command on several files.

Xfce+gtk3-classic (no CSD)+Picom

#3 2023-08-31 20:00:46

MichaelOToole

Re: Theme Developmen Tools Questions

@gogogadget, Many thanks for the link, it answered questions and confirmed my suspicions.

When I first came across XPM file, I had no clue how to deal with them. I did eventually open one with a text editor, and after looking at a few more, I worked out the format but it looked pretty complex for larger files. Later, I realized Gimp could open/edit/export them making life simpler. But why do styles use two image formats, is there a preference or trend and which should I use?

Thanks again for the reply...

Mike

Last edited by MichaelOToole (2023-08-31 20:01:09)

Board footer