Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-05 02:19:16

timeshift

The clipman history does not appear when I click on "Show full history

I saw that every time I want to see the whole clipman history through the option "Show full history" the only thing it shows me are the clipman settings, if I want to see the clipman history I have to execute in the terminal the command:

xfce4-clipman-history

In itself the "Show full history" option doesn't work, because it only shows the clipman settings.

Another thing I would like to be able to do is to delete a specific line of the history but I can't find it in clipman, thanks for the help.

Last edited by timeshift (2023-09-05 02:26:51)

xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
xfce version 4.16

#2 2023-09-05 09:14:25

Tamaranch

Re: The clipman history does not appear when I click on "Show full history

timeshift wrote:

I saw that every time I want to see the whole clipman history through the option "Show full history" the only thing it shows me are the clipman settings

Fixed in 1.6.3: https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins/x … /issues/29

timeshift wrote:

Another thing I would like to be able to do is to delete a specific line of the history but I can't find it in clipman

There already is a feature request about it: https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins/x … /issues/16

#3 2023-09-05 20:57:55

timeshift

thanks for replying @Tamaranch could I compile and upgrade to version 1.6.4 on xubuntu without breaking my system?

xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
xfce version 4.16

#4 2023-09-05 21:09:10

Tamaranch

It might be better to use this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+arc … tu/staging

#5 2024-06-04 19:12:27

timeshift

Hi @Tamaranch I come back again to this thread because I have compiled and installed clipman in version 1.6.6, clearly I got tired of the behavior of version 1.6.2.

The issue is that after upgrading to the aforementioned version I keep getting the previous version where it won't let me view the history. I have entered synaptic to corroborate the version and it is still the same with which I have had problems, so I come back to you asking for help to know what is the step by step and leave the updated version on my system.

I also clarify that I used at the time the PPA you provided and it worked very well but, now I want to update it this way. At this moment I have a new installation and the idea is to continue learning as much as possible to jump to a more advanced distribution in which I know how to install from the most minimal to the most advanced.

And finally I would like to know how I can get through the terminal the version of xfce4-clipman-plugin and any other plugin and program system, thanks for your help @Tamaranch

xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
xfce version 4.16

#6 2024-06-05 09:55:18

Tamaranch

So if I understand correctly, you installed from the 1.6.6 archive this time? If so, you need to do

./configure --prefix=/usr

otherwise the panel won't see the plugin (or will continue to see only the version currently installed in /usr).

timeshift wrote:

And finally I would like to know how I can get through the terminal the version of xfce4-clipman-plugin and any other plugin and program system, thanks for your help @Tamaranch

Usually you have access to this information via your package manager, or a --version option for a given executable when it has one. For plugins, this isn't always possible if the plugin isn't packaged (which is one of the reasons why it's better to always package rather than install directly as above), but plugins often have an about dialog accessible from the plugin's context menu (itself accessible via right-click, or Ctrl-right-click), which gives the version number.

#7 2024-06-05 20:00:02

timeshift

Thanks for your help @Tamaranch, what I did from the beginning was to download the tarball .tar.bz2 file, I unzipped with the command

tar xf xfce4-clipman-plugin-1.6.6.tar.bz2

I entered the directory and executed

./configure

and finally I executed

make && sudo make install

I also installed the dependencies that require it for the compilation to be successful. Now with the new indication that you have given me I have executed the command that you indicated

from the directory of the add-on in version 1.6.6 and then I executed

again, I restarted the computer but the same version is still installed, the 1.6.2. From what location should I execute the command for the compilation of the add-on to take effect?

Tamaranch wrote:

Usually you have access to this information via your package manager, or a --version option for a given executable when it has one. For plugins, this isn't always possible if the plugin isn't packaged (which is one of the reasons why it's better to always package rather than install directly as above), but plugins often have an about dialog accessible from the plugin's context menu (itself accessible via right-click, or Ctrl-right-click), which gives the version number.

I have corroborated the information you have given me and I could verify by right clicking on the plugin that I still have Clipman version 1.6.2 and the same behavior of not letting me see the clipboard history, thanks for your help @Tamaranch

xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
xfce version 4.16

#8 2024-06-05 21:11:36

Tamaranch

timeshift wrote:

Now with the new indication that you have given me I have executed the command that you indicated

from the directory of the add-on in version 1.6.6 and then I executed

again, I restarted the computer but the same version is still installed, the 1.6.2.

That's strange. Could you give the output of

which -a xfce4-panel

#9 2024-06-05 21:23:15

timeshift

Sure @Tamaranch look this is the output of the command you provided me

/usr/bin/xfce4-panel
/bin/xfce4-panel

Thanks for your great help.

Last edited by timeshift (2024-06-05 21:24:14)

xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
xfce version 4.16

#10 2024-06-05 21:28:20

Tamaranch

Did you run

./configure --prefix=/usr && make && sudo make install

from a clean directory (newly extracted from the archive)?

#11 2024-06-05 23:49:51

timeshift

I deleted the old directory, unzipped the tarball again and executed the command in the new directory

./configure --prefix=/usr && make && sudo make install

and restarted the system again, including resetting the panel with the command

xfce4-panel -r

xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
xfce version 4.16

#12 2024-06-06 04:41:54

Tamaranch

Well, I guess your distribution specifies a different library path than the default, or something like that. You'd have to compare installing the plugin via your distribution and via the above command to see.

But why don't you use the PPA mentioned above, that would be easier smile

#13 2024-06-06 21:22:51

timeshift

Thank you very much for your help @Tamaranch I have certainly learned and gained new knowledge, what I did in the end was to remove the Clipman add-on in synaptic in version 1.6.2 and re-run the commands you suggested and now I have Clipman version 1.6.6, thanks for your time and input. big_smile

Last edited by timeshift (2024-06-06 21:23:56)

xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
xfce version 4.16

#14 2024-06-06 21:29:43

Tamaranch

You're welcome, glad you finally got it to work smile

Board footer