Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-23 18:27:54

nixIT

system sometimes freezes when monitor is powered off

hello all, I have been chasing down an issue for a couple weeks, and it's pretty consistent now, and *fingers crossed* it's not a hardware issue.

my issue seems similar to this one: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=16813

my system runs GREAT when in use, the only power management settings I have enabled are under display
blank after 10 minuets
put to sleep after 15
switch off after 30

I've had these setting for as long as I can remember, no problem. however, about 4 weeks ago I started noticing random 5 second desktop/system freezes while watching videos, the audio still worked, yet desktop and mouse would freeze for 5 seconds.

about 2 weeks ago, that's stopped and my system would freeze when I try to use it after the monitor has been put to sleep and powered off. I try to see if it's responsive by pressing caps lock (to see if the light comes on), and it does not, no toggling of the light. though  I was able to ssh into it and issue the reboot command.  my ssh session was terminated, yet it took forever for my ping to the machine to stop resolving, yet the system never came back or rebooted. the only thing I can do is power cycle, *ouch* hurts every time I do it.

I've tried various setting in the xfce power management display, though didn't change anything.

I reformatted and reinstalled arch and xfce 2 days ago, and this AM my system was locked when I tried to use it first thing.

I know I can dig through journalctl, but I have no clue what to look for.

any ideas what to look for and where? 

I'd hate to turn off all the power savings just to keep my system from locking up.

thanx in advance.

/nixit

EDIT: this only happens on my desktop, not my thinkpad.

my monitor is an MSI 2k gaming monitor connected via DP port, I've tried both ports, same thing.

Last edited by nixIT (2023-11-23 18:38:26)

ASRock X570 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD X570  | AMD Ryzen 5900x | 128GB G.SKILL RipjawsV  | ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D

#2 2023-11-23 20:02:03

ToZ
Administrator

Re: system sometimes freezes when monitor is powered off

nixIT wrote:

I know I can dig through journalctl, but I have no clue what to look for.

Perhaps you can post some log entries from the journal around the time the hang happened? Another set of eyes might help.

One other thing you could try is to quit the xfce4-power-manager:

xfce4-power-manager -q

...and put your monitor to sleep. If the issue still happens, then its likely not related to the power manager.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-11-24 03:34:23

nixIT

thanx, will do on the logs next time it happens. it's a weird issue that started a couple weeks ago, reinstall hasn't taken care of it, I'm starting to think it might be hardware.

here are my hareware specs:
ASRock X570 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD X570
AMD Ryzen 5900x
128GB G.SKILL RipjawsV
ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D
msi 2k gaming monitor

I will be back next time it happens.

cheers,
/nixit

ASRock X570 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD X570  | AMD Ryzen 5900x | 128GB G.SKILL RipjawsV  | ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D

#4 2023-11-25 15:38:14

nixIT

@ToZ, so far since I quit xfce4-power-manager, my system has been running great. the only exception is the monitor doesn't power down.

not sure where to go, any ideas? is it an X issue, xfce issue, hardware issue? at least it's working. woot!  smile

any ideas what to try, besides enabling power management and let it lock up again.

thanx for all your help

cheers,
/nixit

#5 2023-11-26 10:58:18

ToZ
Administrator

The next step would be to run the power manager in debug mode to see if you can capture some log outputs:

xfce4-power-manager -q
xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug > $HOME/pm.log 2>&1

Once the problem happens (and/or you recover the system), post back the contents of $HOME/pm.log.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2023-11-26 18:28:21

nixIT

here is the contents of pm.log

TRACE[xfpm-main.c:210] xfpm_start(): Starting the power manager
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for general-notification
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for critical-power-level
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for show-brightness-popup
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for handle-brightness-keys
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-step-count
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-exponential
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for critical-power-action
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for power-button-action
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for hibernate-button-action
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for sleep-button-action
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for battery-button-action
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for lid-action-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for lid-action-on-battery
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-level-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-level-on-battery
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-slider-min-level
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for dpms-on-battery-sleep
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for dpms-on-battery-off
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for dpms-sleep-mode
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-on-battery
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-sleep-mode-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-sleep-mode-on-battery
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-on-battery
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-power-key
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-suspend-key
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-hibernate-key
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-lid-switch
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:165] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for heartbeat-command
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:289] xfpm_polkit_init_data(): Using unix session polkit subject
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 136011>, 'start-time': <uint64 22467156>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.power-off', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.power-off is authorized=TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 136011>, 'start-time': <uint64 22467156>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.reboot', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.reboot is authorized=TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 136011>, 'start-time': <uint64 22467156>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.suspend', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.suspend i
(xfce4-power-manager:136011): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: 12:44:06.443: could not map keysym 1008ffa8 to keycode

** (xfce4-power-manager:136011): WARNING **: 12:44:06.452: No outputs have backlight property

(xfce4-power-manager:136011): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: 12:44:06.455: Failed to get keyboard max brightness level : GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Object does not exist at path “/org/freedesktop/UPower/KbdBacklight”
s authorized=TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 136011>, 'start-time': <uint64 22467156>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate is authorized=TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:929] xfpm_power_get_power_devices(): Power device detected at : /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_hidpp_battery_0
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:888] xfpm_power_add_device(): 'mouse' device added
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:897] xfpm_power_add_device(): Battery device type 'mouse' detected at: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_hidpp_battery_0
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:180] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 124 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_POWER_OFF)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:180] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 213 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_HIBERNATE)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:180] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 150 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_SLEEP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:180] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 233 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_UP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:180] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 232 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:180] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 244 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_BATTERY)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:180] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 238 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_KBD_BRIGHTNESS_UP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:180] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 237 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_KBD_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:209] xfpm_power_check_polkit_auth(): using logind suspend backend
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 136011>, 'start-time': <uint64 22467156>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.suspend', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.suspend is authorized=TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:345] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): polkit request: (('unix-process', {'pid': <uint32 136011>, 'start-time': <uint64 22467156>}), 'org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate', @a{ss} {}, uint32 0, '')
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate is authorized=TRUE
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 600 / New Timeout: 600
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 600 / New Timeout: 0
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:650] xfpm_manager_inhibit_sleep_systemd(): Inhibiting systemd sleep: handle-power-key:handle-suspend-key:handle-hibernate-key:handle-lid-switch
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:203] xfpm_xfconf_property_changed_cb(): Property modified: /xfce4-power-manager/dpms-enabled

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:200] xfpm_dpms_settings_changed_cb(): Configuration changed
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 0 / New Timeout: 60
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 60 / New Timeout: 120
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 120 / New Timeout: 180
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 180 / New Timeout: 240
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 240 / New Timeout: 300
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 300 / New Timeout: 360
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 360 / New Timeout: 420
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 420 / New Timeout: 480
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 480 / New Timeout: 540
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 540 / New Timeout: 600
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 600 / New Timeout: 0
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:203] xfpm_xfconf_property_changed_cb(): Property modified: /xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-sleep

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=60 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:203] xfpm_xfconf_property_changed_cb(): Property modified: /xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-sleep

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=180 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=240 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=300 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=360 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=420 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=480 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=540 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=600 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=660 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=600 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=660 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=720 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=780 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=840 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:203] xfpm_xfconf_propert
(xfce4-power-manager:136011): libxfce4ui-WARNING **: 13:21:56.502: ICE I/O Error

(xfce4-power-manager:136011): libxfce4ui-WARNING **: 13:21:56.502: Disconnected from session manager.
y_changed_cb(): Property modified: /xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-off

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=840 suspend=0 off=960

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=900 suspend=0 off=960

TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:203] xfpm_xfconf_property_changed_cb(): Property modified: /xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-off

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=900 suspend=0 off=1020

TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:203] xfpm_xfconf_property_changed_cb(): Property modified: /xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-off

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=900 suspend=0 off=1080

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=900 suspend=0 off=1140

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=900 suspend=0 off=1200

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=900 suspend=0 off=1260

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:72] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=900 suspend=0 off=1200

TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 0 / New Timeout: 120
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 120 / New Timeout: 180
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 180 / New Timeout: 240
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 240 / New Timeout: 300
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 300 / New Timeout: 360
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 360 / New Timeout: 420
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 420 / New Timeout: 480
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 480 / New Timeout: 540
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 540 / New Timeout: 600
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:237] xfpm_polkit_free_data(): Destroying Polkit data
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:383] xfpm_polkit_changed_cb(): Auth changed
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1008] xfpm_power_polkit_auth_changed_cb(): Auth configuration changed
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:209] xfpm_power_check_polkit_auth(): using logind suspend backend
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:289] xfpm_polkit_init_data(): Using unix session polkit subject
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.suspend is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:366] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate is au

hope this shows something, what are we looking for?

before this test, I added the following to my sesssion & startup, autostart

setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

this allowed me to restart X by ctrl-alt-backspace, instead of powering off my system.

thanx for your help

cheers,
/nixit

#7 2023-11-26 20:41:54

ToZ
Administrator

A few interesting bits:

TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 0 / New Timeout: 60
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Prev Timeout: 60 / New Timeout: 120

Are you rapidly changing the screen blank timeout in the preferences dialog? This happens twice in your snippet.

(xfce4-power-manager:136011): libxfce4ui-WARNING **: 13:21:56.502: ICE I/O Error

(xfce4-power-manager:136011): libxfce4ui-WARNING **: 13:21:56.502: Disconnected from session manager.

This is not good.

What distro and version of xfce4-power-manager and libxfce4ui are you running?

Last edited by ToZ (2023-11-26 20:42:50)

#8 2023-11-26 22:05:25

nixIT

my power management settings are:

general = nothing
system = never
display:
blank after 10 minutes
put to sleep after 15
switch off after 20

been that way ever since I can remember, I did do some "fiddling" with these options during my testing several days ago.

local/xfce4-power-manager 4.18.2-1 (xfce4)
    Power Manager for Xfce
local/libxfce4ui 4.18.4-1
    Widgets library for the Xfce desktop environment

thanx for your help.

#9 2023-11-26 23:08:02

ToZ
Administrator

I think its time to create a bug report. You have an issue with the monitor powering off and stalling the system as well as a possible cause, libxfce4ui ICE IO Error. Lets see if the developers have an idea.

#10 2023-11-26 23:31:42

nixIT

must be to specific hardware too, as my thinkpad doesn't have this issue.

I've never created a bug report before. I will take a look at the link you provided.

thank you for your help.

do you think rolling back those packages in my distro would help?

cheers,
/nixit

#11 2023-11-27 00:12:12

ToZ
Administrator

nixIT wrote:

do you think rolling back those packages in my distro would help?

I'm not a fan of roll backs, however, there has been alot of work done on the power manager lately. The AUR has a xfce4-power-manager-git package (with all the latest changes) that you might want to try.

Board footer