You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-12 03:34:09

wizardfromoz

Xfce documentation outdated, in part

G'day from DownUnder. smile

New here, so wasn't sure where to post.

It's come to my notice over at linux.org where I "work" about the document here

https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/custo … _root_here

There are three (3) references to gksu there, under "Open root terminal here", "Open thunar as root here" and "Edit file as root" referencing the use of gksu.

Under Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian and Devuan (perhaps others), gksu has been deprecated since 2018 in favour of

pkexec

... subject to distro involved and their polkits/policykits.

I am wondering if the article needs updating?

HTH

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

#2 2023-12-12 03:49:43

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Xfce documentation outdated, in part

Hello and welcome.

The wiki/documentation could sure use some love. Its basically updated when something obvious is identified and someone with access makes the change.

You could create a bug report or, dare I ask, volunteer to work on cleaning it up?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-12-12 16:28:02

CwF

Re: Xfce documentation outdated, in part

I have posted on forums.debian.net more than once about the ease of pkexec and how to set up the rules for passwordless operation of Xfce compared to other desktops. Xfce is only a slice of the audience over there and with the vastness of stale info on the web the message needs repeated often.

Concerning Debian, the packages for Xfce are including the necessary /usr/share/polkit-1/actions for thunar, mousepad, and xfce4-terminal so the missing user created rules are the only step required. Since bookworm the package polkitd-pkla is user installed to allow the debanized style rules. The arch style script rules can also be used.

This is the moving target per distro that is out of scope for Xfce maybe. Anyone is welcome to scarf what I've posted over there for any purpose, but it is only a narrow solution and not the only solution.

Board footer