Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-17 23:03:19

advice1010

Way to set a program to launch in full screen mode

I apologize if this has already been asked before.
I see that Xfce offers hotkey Alt+F11 to apply full screen to any program, even if they don't offer within programs settings, which I really like.
I was wondering if there is any way within Xfce to be able to set specific programs to automatically load in this full screen mode?

I know there are third party tools but they don't do this smoothly because they open the window and then activate the hotkey.
(I believe I tried both wmcrl and xdotool, but in as mentioned would rather not use third party tool, like how Xfce does this)
Would like it to be a smooth open right into full screen mode if possible.

Thank You

#2 2023-09-18 23:24:06

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Way to set a program to launch in full screen mode

Unfortunately, Xfce doesn't have a built-in option to start a program fullscreen. You need to rely either on the app or a third-party tool.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-01-14 20:51:56

advice1010

@ToZ
Thank you for the response.
As mentioned when I tried 3rd party apps like wmcrl, didn't really achieve this as smooth as I would like.
The program I was really looking to do this in only comes in gtk2 & qt5 versions so the following won't solve what I am looking for, but still curious.
By any chance do you know if there is a way to achieve this using gtk.css?
Came across the following link and it just got me wondering if this was possible.
https://docs.gtk.org/gtk3/method.Window.fullscreen.html
Just thinking maybe if there is a way to achieve this in gtk3, maybe this would mean that there is a way to achieve this in gtk2 using the .gtkrc2.0 file / widgets / environment variables.
Thanks again

#4 2024-01-14 21:06:35

ToZ
Administrator

advice1010 wrote:

As mentioned when I tried 3rd party apps like wmcrl, didn't really achieve this as smooth as I would like.

Have a look at Devilspie or devilspie2. They can set windows to fullscreen.  If you want to just use wmctrl, you can try something like this:

APPNAME & sleep 1 && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,fullscreen

By any chance do you know if there is a way to achieve this using gtk.css?

Unfortunately no - that's not what CSS is for.

Came across the following link and it just got me wondering if this was possible.
https://docs.gtk.org/gtk3/method.Window.fullscreen.html

That's if you're programming an app and you want it fullscreen - its a gtk function.

Just thinking maybe if there is a way to achieve this in gtk3, maybe this would mean that there is a way to achieve this in gtk2 using the .gtkrc2.0 file / widgets / environment variables.

You just need to use an EWMH-complaint tool like wmctrl or devilspie.

It may take some extra configuration though:

• devilspie - you need to create a script and have "devilspie" constantly running (note it is easy using this tool to force all open windows fullscreen)

• wmctrl - you'll need to update your .desktop files

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer