Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-29 13:22:23

tdzito

Weird xfce4-terminal behavior

After the last update my xfce (4.18) started showing two strange behaviors. Here are two prints to illustrate:

S8MJAMJ.png
VVChcOB.png

In the first image there is a problem with resizing the xfce4-terminal (4.18) settings menu. I can't resize it at all. It always opens like this, with a resizing error.

In the second image, notice that there is a padding on the right side of the window. However, after the last xfce update this padding started to appear in the corner of the screen. I don't know how to solve it.

Note: I created a topic about these paddings last year: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=15630

#2 2023-11-30 01:32:22

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Weird xfce4-terminal behavior

What version of xfce4-terminal are you running?

xfce4-terminal -V
tdzito wrote:

In the first image there is a problem with resizing the xfce4-terminal (4.18) settings menu. I can't resize it at all. It always opens like this, with a resizing error.

I see the same as well. Perhaps a bug report should be created.
Let me clarify. I cannot resize this dialog - not sure if this was possible before - I will check, but I'm not getting it full screen like that. What is the resizing error that you are getting? Are you using any sort of tiling scripts or utilities?

Preferences dialog resizing notes:
- can resize in 0.8.10
- can resize in 1.0.4
- cannot resize in 1.1.1

Looks like it was this merge request that set it to be non-resizeable, released in 1.1.0

In the second image, notice that there is a padding on the right side of the window. However, after the last xfce update this padding started to appear in the corner of the screen. I don't know how to solve it.

Note: I created a topic about these paddings last year: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=15630

Are you still using those paddings CSS tweaks? If so, what happens if you remove them?

Last edited by ToZ (2023-11-30 01:52:45)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-11-30 13:05:55

tdzito

ToZ wrote:

What version of xfce4-terminal are you running?

xfce4-terminal -V
tdzito wrote:

I see the same as well. Perhaps a bug report should be created.
Let me clarify. I cannot resize this dialog - not sure if this was possible before - I will check, but I'm not getting it full screen like that. What is the resizing error that you are getting? Are you using any sort of tiling scripts or utilities?

Preferences dialog resizing notes:
- can resize in 0.8.10
- can resize in 1.0.4
- cannot resize in 1.1.1

Looks like it was this merge request that set it to be non-resizeable, released in 1.1.0

Are you still using those paddings CSS tweaks? If so, what happens if you remove them?

I don't use anything to modify the default behavior of xfce. Move windows, resize, close, etc. just with xfwm keyboard shortcuts.

I use xfce4-terminal in xfce and i3wm, in both it was possible to resize this preferences window. This problem occurred after the last xfce4-terminal update. Mine is on the latest version 1.1.1.

Removing the changes made to gtk.css was my first attempt to resolve the issue.

I noticed that after the latest updates I am also experiencing problems with other panels. I like and use the xfce panel, but sometimes I use tint2. After the latest updates, xfce windows can no longer be fullscreen. I did a test with the polybar too and the same thing happens. I have no idea what it could be. tint2 worked very well until a while ago.

#4 2023-11-30 16:05:34

ToZ
Administrator

tdzito wrote:

I use xfce4-terminal in xfce and i3wm, in both it was possible to resize this preferences window. This problem occurred after the last xfce4-terminal update. Mine is on the latest version 1.1.1.

It might be worth creating a bug report for this.

I noticed that after the latest updates I am also experiencing problems with other panels. I like and use the xfce panel, but sometimes I use tint2. After the latest updates, xfce windows can no longer be fullscreen. I did a test with the polybar too and the same thing happens. I have no idea what it could be. tint2 worked very well until a while ago.

Do you have any margins set? Settings Manager > Workspaces > Margins.

It might be worthwhile to create another user account on your computer and log in to a standard Xfce desktop through that account to see if you can replicate the issues there.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2024-02-21 19:32:20

tdzito

ToZ wrote:
tdzito wrote:

It might be worth creating a bug report for this.

Do you have any margins set? Settings Manager > Workspaces > Margins.

It might be worthwhile to create another user account on your computer and log in to a standard Xfce desktop through that account to see if you can replicate the issues there.

I created another user and had the same problems. I tested it on my main system and a virtual machine. In both situations I found the same bugs.

Another bug appeared in the new latest version (1.1.2). Now I can no longer change the colorscheme through the preferences menu.

To try to solve the problems I downgraded to version 1.1.1 and it didn't solve the problem. So I downgraded to version 1.0.3 and everything worked normally again. Which leads me to believe that it is a problem with releases after 1.1 (1.1.1 and 1.1.2).

How do I create a bug report?

#6 2024-02-21 20:44:16

ToZ
Administrator

tdzito wrote:

Another bug appeared in the new latest version (1.1.2). Now I can no longer change the colorscheme through the preferences menu.

This is a known issue that has been resolved, but not yet released. See https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-term … issues/300.

How do I create a bug report?

Select the "New Issue" button from https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-terminal/-/issues. You'll need a gitlab account to do so.

Board footer