Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-21 16:02:58

vicentemmos

Newbie question about ricing

Hello, everyone!

As the title states, I'm at my first attempt of customizing my desktop. I have a folder full with wallpapers I downloaded, and I created an executable script, named ./newlook, as follows:

1 #!/bin/sh
 3 wall=$(find ~/Pictures/Wallpapers/ -type f -iname "*.jpg" -o -iname "*.png" | shuf -n 1)
 5 # Add background wallpaper
 6 xwallpaper --zoom $wall
 8 # Generate color scheme
 9 wal -c
10 wal -i $wall
12 xdotool key super+F2

When I run this code on terminal, it works, in the sense that the script manages to pull a random wallpaper from my directory, applies it to the desktop (I can see it for a split second), and changes the color schemes to match that of the wallpaper. But the problem is that XFCe reapplies the previously applied wallpaper on top of it. The color schemes continue to match the wallpaper my script pulls, but the actual wallpaper on the desktop doesn't really change. What am I missing here? Can anyone help please?

Thank you.

Last edited by vicentemmos (2024-02-21 16:13:19)

#2 2024-02-22 03:06:28

merazi
Website

Re: Newbie question about ricing

Henlo!

We'll use a different command for setting the wallpaper, first you need to detect your monitor, execute this command:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -m

You should see a text that says "Start monitoring channel "xfce4-desktop":", now change your wallpaper by right clicking the desktop and doing it manually, you'll see a string appear in your terminal window when you do it, copy the entire line (it's a long line).

Now you can change wallpapers by executing the following (please make sure to replace the corresponding bits):

xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p $the_string_you_copied -s $wall

Board footer